• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cleaning procedures...

Justine

How far do we take this idea,hubby wants to put handwash at each kennel,like the ones in hospital now.We also thought about boot dipping in disinfectant before entering and after leaving the block.What do you think.Is this over the top.

No I don't think this is over the top at all, the last thing you want is infection! I would also advise a thorough scrub down of each kennel in between customers too! If people think it is over the top then you only have to think how quickly germs can spread, MRSA, Kennel Cough etc commonest cause of infections being spread is on the soles of shoes and the palms of hands!

Well that's my opinion anyway!!!

Thanks Cathryn,i need to hear what people think and expect.I thought the boot wash was good but admit to hubbs idea as slightly over the top.Dont worry all kennels will be cleaned and air dried in between dogs,i know that.

Justine, you are such an inspiration. The area that I live in could sure use a kennel like you are building and I just don't have the courage to take that leap like you have done!

I love the idea of a boot dipping. It sounds like you are going to have a really great kennel when you are finished.

I am so glad for all imput,i know what i am doing but i like ideas and debating.I want a good name and i am going to have the best kennels in this area,i am very proud of what hubby and i have acheived,and we have allways wanted to do this.I also want to make sure the dogs are kept to the best standards and that people will come back.Funny i have just got back from the dentist and he thinks we are going to FLY,so really HAPPY.

The boot dipping is important, IMO.

As for the hand sanitizer, I'd call a few vet surgeries and ask what they use....then copy it.

Infection control is very important.

Sounds great, you're certainly covering all the bases.:)

I'm really impressed! Just wish we lived closer then I could go on holiday and not worry about my doglets.

I think it's a great idea. I tell you what, I think it would make customers feel at ease as you clearly are being very careful.

How are you going to advertise? Maybe you can invite your local vets and groomers for your open day and they would probably be impressed enough to recommend you.

We have Kennels in the next road to us and I know someone who put there dogs there for a week and they had chewed their leads in two. They must have been tied up for a long time to do that :( Last year a dog escaped and was killed on the A127 :(

A little further afield, about 15 miles away, are the wonderful Mrs Pagan's kennels "Sorata", everyone raves about them. Mrs Pagan breeds cavaliers and does cavalier rescue too. She has a great web site, maybe you could have one too.
http://www.sorata.co.uk/

Hi Pauline,yes we are having a open day.I know of 3 dogs stolen from a boarding kennels not to many miles from here.Thank god we choose the site very,very carefully,no main roads near us,but plenty of fields for sniffing.We have one sheep farmer,hes not to close .

Justine, I am so impressed by your drive, determination and sheer will to succeed, you will only ever get as much out of a project as you are prepared to put into it, and from the sounds of it your kennels are going to be a huge success!!

Sorry if you've already thought of this, but how about asking various vets to come and have a look around just before you are due to open? Word of mouth is the strongest advert of all and if a vet is recommending you to his clients, well do I need to say any more??? Just an idea is all!

Cant do this as our vet on call has a nurse who runs a small kennels where she lives,so dont want to tread on any toes.There isnt many vets around here,so having to be very diplomatic.

Hmm I see!! Still you could just "diplomatically" ask them to display a poster on their board for you couldn't you?? (As back up for when the nurses kennel is fully booked!!)

Pauline, I'm so glad that you mentioned the Sorata kennel! I'm glad to hear that Sorata has a good reputation - that's where my breeder got her original breeding stock..both of mine are from that line :paw:

Justine, I wish I lived by you - I would LOVE to have somewhere to bring my two when we're on vacation! My breeder is about 4 hours away, and although she said she would love to watch them, it's too far of a drive...I don't really trust most kennels, so our families always get to watch them! I secretly think they LOVE watching them though :D

My mother-in-law has two tri boys from Sorata kennels - I hadn't realised that it was run by Joan Pagan, Thanks for the link

Back