• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sickish This Morning

vicarrieous

I need everyone's advice this morning. Kip got up and was acting normal all morning, he ate, he pooed, he played. Then all of a sudden he threw up. Quite a bit actually. It consisted of (I am sure you all want to know this) whitish foam and his food. His kibble didnt looked chewed at all. Afterwards he was still running and playing but as a new mommy I am a little over worried about him. I scheduled a visit for 1pm today.

Should I worry? Or did he just eat too fast?

Sound like he just eating too fast.....?
A friend of mine has a greedy/speedy pup too and the problem was solved by scattering the kibble on the floor ,then the pup had to slow down :eek:)

Rather than just scheduling a vet appointment, I always recommend asking the vets IF you should bring your dog in and describe the circumstances, if you are unsure. There are situations where I know my dogs should go in, but much of the time I ask for the good advice of my vets first so that I don't needlessly consume my time or theirs.

Puppies and dogs vomit for all sorts of reasons and unless there are other signs of problems or you feel the dog is vomiting due to a problem -- something ingested for example -- I wouldn't generally contact the vets.

Dogs don;t generally chew their food much (nor do humans!) so vomit often looks pretty undigested. hat's because they are throwing up what hasn't yet been digested much.

There's a good guide on whether you need to see the vet pinned to the top of this section that I find very useful. The first item is on vomiting:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showpost.php?p=192976&postcount=2

Chester used to do this a lot when he had scoffed his dinner down & then starting playing too soon! God forbid he could leave his ball for 5 mins! ;o)

Drinking too much water straight after eating can also cause this, I've found. Especially if the pup is a gobbler! :lol:

My 4 month old pup drinks his water really fast sometimes, and then if he runs around soon after...will throw up white foam. Yuck! :(

This happened to Bella once (she was about 4 months old) - she ate her food really fast then started to play and vomited this white foamy stuff up.

I tried to read up about it and now try to keep her calm for about half an hour after eating. She hasn't been sick like that since.

Thanks all for calming my nerves. He hasnt thrown up at all the rest of the day and seems like good little pup kip.

Back