• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do Cavaliers typically stick out tongue?

margot

I'm a new member to this forum and I'm also a new Cavalier owner (tri-color). So excuse me if this has been discussed before, or if it's a strange question! Our girl frequently sits, lies and/or sleeps with her tongue sticking out -- to the point that the edge of her tongue is very dry. Is that typical to the breed or is she just unusual? Don't get me wrong, this is not an issue for us, just something we're curious about. We love her to bits and she gets along marvellously with our other dogs. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the board. :)

No, this wouldn't usually be normal but might vary by individual.... I have heard of various reasons that cause them to lose some control over the tongue. I doubt it is anything to worry about, but I'd talk to your vet about it next time you are in their offices just to be sure.

Hmmm, have never heard of this one and our 8 month old doesn't do that. I rarely see that tongue unless she is giving kisses. :luv: How old is your girl and could it be that her jaw or teeth are maybe a bit under or overshot? Maybe someone else has had this happen with their pup. :confused:

I've only ever seen this in a dog that has lost all their teeth, the tongue can hang out of one side but I would think it's something you wouldn't see very often.

Our 6-month old Cav. sticks out his tongue during and after walking in warm weather. Sometimes he sticks out his tongue for an hour after the walk.

Your responses are great!

Thank you everyone for your quick responses! Our girl is 2 1/2 years old. She has a bit of an overbite, so the breeders aren't showing her. She had one litter and the overbite wasn't passed along. But they didn't want to take another chance, so they decided she would make a wonderful family dog with us. The tongue-sticking-out doesn't appear to be an issue or concern -- she is happy and healthy and relaxed with us. So from your responses, it sounds like it might be related to her overbite. If anyone else has thoughts, I'd love to hear them. This is a very responsive community! Thanks again.

I just added her picture to my profile .. maybe it will show up here now. I really must find time to read the instructions!

Last edited:
If a dog doesn't have a good "bite" it's even more important to brush the teeth carefully (well as well as you can!)

Our Willow does this! She doesn't have a noticeably bad bite, but when she gets into a deep sleep, out slips the tip of her tongue! If she is woken abruptly, she looks up, all dazed and confused, and her tongue stays out! As she wakes up, she yawns and pulls it in. What's really funny is when she's semi-awake, you can actually touch her tongue and she doesn't do anything! :p

It is just a personalized quirk, I think. Holly, who has a parrot bite (is that what it's called?) which is a SEVERE overbite, but she doesn't stick her tongue out. I think it's just more a super relaxed state and how Willow feels relaxed.

Here's a pic of Willow sleeping/waking on a car ride. It looks like she's blowing raspberries, but she's just sleeping with her tongue out!

tonguewillowandcedar.jpg

Margot, I would try to put her tongue back if you see her sticking it out {unless she is obviously panting}. This helps to keep it moist, and can train them to keep the tongue inside their mouth.

CIndy, that's a great pic -- they both look like they are saying "OK, WHO felt they had to wake us up!"

Love this community

Thank you everybody! What a great photo -- that's exactly what my Jewel looks like with the tip of her little tongue out. And yes, I do put it back in when I see it -- it feels very dry. Sometimes she sticks it back out though. Thanks again -- this is an awesome community!
Margot

Back