• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Oprah

Also, if you can't afford the rescue fee (which is in my mind beyond reasonable) you certainly cannot afford to properly feed and vet the dog in question.

I regularly get people applying for a rescue 'because they are too expensive to buy' and over here you can get them in the small ads for the same that I charge for rescues. :sl*p: Given that a couple of vet visits will equal the homing fee, that kind of home always worries me -- it is like they think they are buying a statue that will sit on a shelf, not a dog that IS going to have vet costs.

In between food, vet visits, grooming costs, toys, accessories; the average cost for keeping a dog easily will hit close to $1000 a year -- and of course the 'toys and accessories' category may have no limits... :)

I wish shelters and pounds would require payment for a neuter and chip before homing though rather than hoping a new home will do these two things.

I finished watching the show this afternoon. Kudos to Lisa Ling and Oprah for doing an excellent job!! I love that they did not portray breeders as horrible people and suggested that if people do choose to go to a breeder that they research them carefully. They also pointed out that they don't get breeders (I'll say reputable breeders here ;)) dog in shelters because reputable breeders will take their dogs back 6 or 7 years later. And that's the way it should be. A responsible breeder is responsible for the puppies they produce no matter what the circumstances.

Rescue fees. I've not placed a Cavalier through rescue for under $400. The money exchanged for a rescue goes into a rescue fund. It's not lining anyone's pockets. That fund is then used for future rescues. The number one thing I see with rescues is dental issues...and those aren't cheap.

I get extremely frustrated with people who write inquiring about getting a rescue because "the price from a breeder is ridiculous" and am very blunt with them. I tell them explicitly and directly that if they think they are going to save money by getting a Cavalier through rescue they couldn't be more mistaken. Dogs come into rescue for a reason.....normally emotional or physical reasons. I did get the inquiry from a woman who said she just couldn't see paying $2,000 for a Cavalier from a breeder. When I questioned her on it she said she'd much rather spend that kind of money rescuing a Cavalier. Needless to say....that moved her to the top of my list. :luv: Good answer!!

I loved Oprah's show and I hope it really reaches a lot of people.

I have seen lots of rescue cavaliers on petfinder for anywhere up to $750. The way I understand it is that Cavaliers are a very loved breed and will generally get adopted very quickly. Lots of rescue groups will bump up the cost to offset costs for their other dogs (such as large black dogs) that don't get adopted out as easily... it either helps for that, or it's put back, as Cathy said, for dogs who come in with more serious issues (remember, some of these dogs need lots of vet work before being able to be adopted out). I have no problem "paying" $750 for a dog ~ afterall, it's a tax deductible donation :) .. hopefully the extra cash will help another dog to find a forever home ;)

The point of my comment about the adoption fees FROM THE PLACE I WAS TALKING ABOUT was that all of the fees were $375 EXCEPT the one for the Cavalier which was $650. Point being, that group did not appear to be a true rescue group, but appeared to be in it for the $$, and not only because of the fee structure but mainly because of the marketing on the website.

There is no question that rescue dogs cost a lot of money to care for medically and while in foster care. IF I were to rescue a dog, of course I would expect to pay an adoption fee, and I would understand if the fee for the dog were based on the medical treatment it had received.

However, since I have not rescued a dog and really have never paid much attention to the adoption fees until now, it looked as if the average adoption fees ran between $250-350, so comparatively $375 & $650 seemed high to me.

I admire and respect anyone involved in rescue. I believe the majority of people who do adopt dogs ILO buying one from a breeder also have the best of intentions. The reality is, though, that most people would not choose to adopt a dog that would require hundreds to thousands of dollars in medical care. That is the reason rescue groups exist! That is why the donations and outside funding are so important!

If all dogs were $500+ there would be many fewer dog owners in the world. That's just a reality. We (on this board) are not the average dog owner. Most of us have spent thousands of dollars on the PURCHASE of our dogs. Add to that a Puppia for every season, premium dog food, treats, designer beds & collars, and basic medical care...and eventually and often...above-basic medical care.

My overall point is that, yes, there should be an adoption fee for rescues...but it should not be $600+ (IMHO) or else there will be fewer people to rescue them.

Jean and I watched the Oprah show this afternoon. :(

I was a bit disappointed that Oprah didn't drop a check for a million or so on the rescue guy... but I suspect he'll see some donations rolling in.

Back