Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pain on Season

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pain on Season

Hi all

^ Our little Connie here is on her first season. She's in her third/fourth week and today showed signs of being in pain when urinating on her daily walk. It was evident that she didn't have any discomfort when she initially emptied her bladder but it looked like she was then 'straining' (to mark/scent maybe?). Each time she did this, she whimpered quite loudly for five seconds or so.

Hopefully, we needn't be concerned over this as we're assuming this is typical behaviour/symptoms of being on season. Generally, she's in good health but is a bit 'out of character/quiet' in the evenings.

If we should be concerned, can someone please let us know so we can take her to the vet?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If a dog is possibly showing pain, IMHO you should always at least ring your vet and ask them whether they should see the dog. I have never heard of a female whimpering in pain when urinating while in heat. Because bitches can get pyometra, which can be fatal, after being in heat I'd not ignore any off signs or indications of pain. Cavaliers have a very high lifetime risk (over 45%) of this when unspayed. The out-of-sorts behaviour may just be the fact that she has been in heat but I'd never risk leaving a dog in pain -- and your vets are the right people to ask. I always check in with mine to see if they feel I should bring any of mine in, when I am uncertain.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Karlin - we'll ring them first thing tomorrow. For future reference, do any vets frequent the boards? Not that we'll use that as a fall-back of course.
    Last edited by GCon; 6th April 2008 at 12:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

My girl just finished her first season and she found it mildly interesting. Didn't seem to upset her routine much at all (except for the silly fancy pants we made her wear when she was in the house.) There was never an indication of pain or issues with daily urination or bowel movements. Not sure if this is a medical problem for your pup but would mention it to the vet just to make sure.
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure it is a season and not a urine /bladder infection they can pass blood from this also it sounds more like an infection to me .Is her vulva very swollen that would indicate a season if not then she has a nasty infecton that needs a vet that would also acount for her being Off/ quiet .Hope she's feeling better soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No one that is active with vet background. In my experience medical people are very reluctant to do more than say, "Go see your vet/doctor" anyway. It is hard to generalise advice for specific cases.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hope she's feeling better soon.

The symptoms you're describing sound like a UTI to me. One of my female cavaliers has had UTIs in the past, and we've found a 'sanitary trim' at the groomers keeps her healthy, after veterinary treatment with antibiotics.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Can only echo what others have said already get her in for a check up, it sounds like she might have a UTI to me.
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like

We spoke to the vet today and he's of the opinion that whilst the pain may be 'just period pain' (as in humans) it would be advisable to bring her in to rule out anything else. So, she'll be there tomorrow.

Thanks all.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you're bringing her in. With all the seasons we have been through over the years, we have never had a girl show any signs of being in pain. Let us know what the vet says. Good luck and hope she's doing better.
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers