• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

baxter

coconut

bax had his vaccs this morning and our vet checked him over as when got him we thought that he had a hernia. Today when we went in she was listening to his heart for a good while and she says that he is developing a heat murmur but that we don't have to worry about it yet!:confused:

Oh no! Hopefully Baxter will be just fine. Did your vet think he should see a cardiologist to confirm? How old is Baxter?

baxter is only 1 since jan, she did say to do anything but that she was going to keep on eye on him!!

Hmm Personnally I'd be wanting a cardiologist to ausculate him, no disrespect to your vet but I'd be wanting an expert opinion on that!

I know how upsetting it is to hear those words from your vet. :hug:

Two of my cavaliers have heart murmurs, and I feel much better having them examined regularly by a cardiologist. The cardiologist will notice any changes quicker, will tell you how often to return for exams, and will know what meds are best and when to start them. This will take such a load off your shoulders and your mind! :flwr:

I agree with Cathryn; it would be so extremely unlikely that a 1 year old dog was developing a heart murmur due to MVD! If he truly is, then he really should be seen by a cardiologist as this would be very early onset or caused by some other heart issue -- and either way, that should be checked.

I'd be inclined to get a second opinion from a different vet (I'd recommend Finbar Heslin at Beaufield in Celbridge, or my vets in Dublin)). And if they too hear a murmur, then ask for a referral to the cardiologist in Dublin.

Unfortunately a lot of vets seem pretty clueless about MVD and cavaliers.

I suspect a second opinion or a cardiologist will not pick up anything but if they do then it will be IMHO important to see the cardio. (y)

Can't add anything other than....completely agree with the above posts. Very unusual for a 1 year old to have a murmur.

Back