Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shelby....already?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shelby....already?

We noticed last night Shelby is having a problem getting around. I'm assuming it's her knee, she's walking stiff-legged. For those who don't know....Shelby had patella surgery 3 years ago, twice since it didn't hold the first time and we have since then found out her knee is still luxating. Surgery is no longer an option. We'll book her into the vet's office tomorrow if she's not better. I had hoped her knee wouldn't progress this quickly. So disheartening. She's gotten really good at using her steps to get up on the bed so we moved them out to the living room to see if she'd use them on the couch (her favorite lounging spot) and she did. So hubby will build another set today for the bedroom. I'm really concerned that her knee is so bad so quickly. She's only 3 1/2 I gave her a rimadyl dose this morning and will watch her for the rest of the day.

On top of that...I took all 3 dogs to the dog park yesterday. We won't be doing that again!! Abby was so overwhelmed she had diahhrea all over her little rear end. Wrapped her up in a towel to get her home and gave her a butt bath. Think we'll stay away from the dog park until she goes home.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Cathy, I am so sorry to hear about your babies knee. And poor you and Abby.... diarrhea isn't fun.. We've had two with it last weekend too. I guess I will go home and make some beef and rice.
    Fingers crossed that everyone is feeling better soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Cathy, that is so sad about Shelby! I can't even imagine what you are going through right now, especially since additional surgeries are not an option. With accomodations is she at least comfortable and content or do you also have to manage her pain? Will keep her and your family in my prayers!
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear

Post Thanks / Like

Cathy, so sorry to read the news about Shelby. I feel terrible for her and you. I hope the Rimadyl works. Keep us posted.

Sounds like little Abby was overwhelmed, poor dear. Hopefully there will be no more of that.
    Sharon, proud Mom of Scout (tri) and Breeze (Newfie)

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder whether this could be arthritis. I believe that people who break a bone are libaale to get arthritis in the associated joint. My son, was told he could, in future, get arthritis in a wrist he broke some time ago.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh Cathy I'm really sorry to hear this - give Shelby a gentle hug from me.

i think you already have her on a Glucosamine/Chondriotin supplement? You could also try something like Sashas Blend, which has green lipped muscle extract, abalone and shark cartilage. http://www.sashasblend.com/?id=australia

Best to get teh vet to check her over first though just to make sure it isn't anything else.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh Cathy, I'm so very sorry to hear this. Shelby, I hope your leg gets better soon.
    Tanya, Mark and Cleo (Blen Girl Born 5th May 2006)

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of you both. Let us know how you get on at vets.
    BK

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, that would be so sad if she is having those problems already. Can the leg be supported in any other way? Let us know what your vet says. It must be so frustrating when the surgeries are so involved in recovery time for you and for Shelby and you both went through so much.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear this.
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)