Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shelby....already?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, so sorry she's having problems.

Something like Sasha's blend with green lipped mussels should make a difference. I will find the link to the Chinese herbs that my Tasha took as well. The combination should work just as well as Rimadyl without any side effects and won't be hard on her organs.

Here is the link: http://www.viim.org/therapeutics/pro.../arthragen.asp

This is the 2nd medication she was taking: http://www.holisticpetinfo.com/prodd...rod=Arthroplex

Cathy, my little Tasha had loose patellas, and she lived to be 14.5. These two medicines were a Godsend to us for years!

More thoughts - Tasha's vet told me to keep her very lean. By keeping her at the light end of the scale it will take the stress off her joints. This will make a huge difference. I just cut back Tasha's calories. And I didn't leash walk her, as that adds more wear and tear on the knees. Let her self-exercise in the house and backyard, but keep her calories low. She will still enjoy life!

One other thing is that ramps may be easier on her knees than stairs. I've seen a long ramp that can be put across the entire foot of a bed. It is easier than stairs. I'll try to find it.
    Last edited by Cathy Moon; 8th April 2008 at 02:34 AM. Reason: added text
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Cathy,
    So sorry to hear about Shelby.
    Lexie sends well wishes.

Kelly
    Kelly, Lexie & Portia

Post Thanks / Like

She's doing much much better this afternoon. I'm wondering if maybe she pulled something last night....or perhaps her knee was out and she couldn't get it to pop back in. We went for a short walk this afternoon and she was completely fine.

Thanks for the links to the various supplements. I will definitely take a look at them. I don't like giving the rimadyl. Only gave it because it was what I had on hand. Would definitely prefer something else.

I've thought about the ramps as well. I'm sure they would be easier on her than the stairs. The stairs are okay for now but am sure she will progress to where she needs something easier.

I am so hyper-vigilant about watching her knee because I know what is going on with it. She's such a little trooper though and so stoic about discomfort. It's really up to me to realize something is wrong because by the time she lets me know it's really bothering her.

I am planning to call the surgeon who originally performed the surgeries and have her evaluate the knee again. I know that surgery is no longer an option but will be interested in what she has to say. I really like her and trust her implicitly.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to hear about Shelby. Sasha's blend is really great. We used it for Honey (she tore a ligament in her knee and had a replaced and then got arthritis in it later). It gave her a new lease of life. I hope Shelby is feeling better
    Casshon

Molly (Blenheim) & Bella (Tri)
    Honey, Cassie & Tiki (Cavalier Angels)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy T View Post
    She's doing much much better this afternoon. I'm wondering if maybe she pulled something last night....or perhaps her knee was out and she couldn't get it to pop back in. We went for a short walk this afternoon and she was completely fine.

Thanks for the links to the various supplements. I will definitely take a look at them. I don't like giving the rimadyl. Only gave it because it was what I had on hand. Would definitely prefer something else.

I've thought about the ramps as well. I'm sure they would be easier on her than the stairs. The stairs are okay for now but am sure she will progress to where she needs something easier.

I am so hyper-vigilant about watching her knee because I know what is going on with it. She's such a little trooper though and so stoic about discomfort. It's really up to me to realize something is wrong because by the time she lets me know it's really bothering her.

I am planning to call the surgeon who originally performed the surgeries and have her evaluate the knee again. I know that surgery is no longer an option but will be interested in what she has to say. I really like her and trust her implicitly.
    Hey

Qwick had patella surgery last year as well, but he also had arthritis so they couldn't fix him up completely..

Ever since then I'm scared to death that he'll hurt himself again, he is on some pills now Glyco-Flex I and they REALLY help him a lot..

He himself isn't very careful most of the time though, we need to look out for him cause he'll just jump on or off stuff as he wants to (which sometimes ends with him lying on the floor and all paws open)..

It's not easy to monitor him all the time but we do our best and for now he's doing great..
    From time to time you can see that he walks differently for a bit but then the next day he seems fine again.. So I think he just does something that hurts then after some rest he's fine again..

But the glyco-flex was prescribed by his surgeon and as long as he's doing so great, I'm very happy with it!
    Qwick °07-Feb-2000
    Qwebble °26-Jul-2006
    Qnotje °29-Mar-2008

Post Thanks / Like

I used glyco-flex with Shelby before her surgery in an effort to see if her knee would tighten. I'm giving her glucosamine/chondroitin tablets now along with Seacure. I've gotten some really great guidance in how to treat her in the future. The concern is arthritis at an early age and am continuing to research treatment for it.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really sorry to hear this Cathy. Please keep us posted. Fingers crossed for you that you'll get some good news at the vet today on how to move forward.
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I hope it is just a temporary pulled muscle & not the reappearance of the knee problem.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh Cathy, please give Shelby the love bug big hugs and kisses from me and da boyz
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)