• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Shelby....already?

Cathy T

We noticed last night Shelby is having a problem getting around. I'm assuming it's her knee, she's walking stiff-legged. For those who don't know....Shelby had patella surgery 3 years ago, twice since it didn't hold the first time and we have since then found out her knee is still luxating. Surgery is no longer an option. We'll book her into the vet's office tomorrow if she's not better. I had hoped her knee wouldn't progress this quickly. So disheartening. She's gotten really good at using her steps to get up on the bed so we moved them out to the living room to see if she'd use them on the couch (her favorite lounging spot) and she did. So hubby will build another set today for the bedroom. I'm really concerned that her knee is so bad so quickly. She's only 3 1/2
icon_cry.gif
I gave her a rimadyl dose this morning and will watch her for the rest of the day.

On top of that...I took all 3 dogs to the dog park yesterday. We won't be doing that again!! Abby was so overwhelmed she had diahhrea all over her little rear end. Wrapped her up in a towel to get her home and gave her a butt bath. Think we'll stay away from the dog park until she goes home.

Oh Cathy, I am so sorry to hear about your babies knee. And poor you and Abby.... diarrhea isn't fun.. We've had two with it last weekend too. I guess I will go home and make some beef and rice.
Fingers crossed that everyone is feeling better soon.

:( Cathy, that is so sad about Shelby! I can't even imagine what you are going through right now, especially since additional surgeries are not an option. With accomodations is she at least comfortable and content or do you also have to manage her pain? Will keep her and your family in my prayers!

Cathy, so sorry to read the news about Shelby. I feel terrible for her and you. I hope the Rimadyl works. Keep us posted.

Sounds like little Abby was overwhelmed, poor dear. Hopefully there will be no more of that.

I wonder whether this could be arthritis. I believe that people who break a bone are libaale to get arthritis in the associated joint. My son, was told he could, in future, get arthritis in a wrist he broke some time ago.

Oh Cathy I'm really sorry to hear this - give Shelby a gentle hug from me.

i think you already have her on a Glucosamine/Chondriotin supplement? You could also try something like Sashas Blend, which has green lipped muscle extract, abalone and shark cartilage. http://www.sashasblend.com/?id=australia

Best to get teh vet to check her over first though just to make sure it isn't anything else.

Oh, that would be so sad if she is having those problems already. Can the leg be supported in any other way? Let us know what your vet says. It must be so frustrating when the surgeries are so involved in recovery time for you and for Shelby and you both went through so much. :flwr:

Oh, so sorry she's having problems. :hug:

Something like Sasha's blend with green lipped mussels should make a difference. I will find the link to the Chinese herbs that my Tasha took as well. The combination should work just as well as Rimadyl without any side effects and won't be hard on her organs.

Here is the link: http://www.viim.org/therapeutics/products/chineseherbal/arthragen.asp

This is the 2nd medication she was taking: http://www.holisticpetinfo.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Arthroplex

Cathy, my little Tasha had loose patellas, and she lived to be 14.5. These two medicines were a Godsend to us for years!

More thoughts - Tasha's vet told me to keep her very lean. By keeping her at the light end of the scale it will take the stress off her joints. This will make a huge difference. I just cut back Tasha's calories. And I didn't leash walk her, as that adds more wear and tear on the knees. Let her self-exercise in the house and backyard, but keep her calories low. She will still enjoy life!

One other thing is that ramps may be easier on her knees than stairs. I've seen a long ramp that can be put across the entire foot of a bed. It is easier than stairs. I'll try to find it.

Last edited:
She's doing much much better this afternoon. I'm wondering if maybe she pulled something last night....or perhaps her knee was out and she couldn't get it to pop back in. We went for a short walk this afternoon and she was completely fine.

Thanks for the links to the various supplements. I will definitely take a look at them. I don't like giving the rimadyl. Only gave it because it was what I had on hand. Would definitely prefer something else.

I've thought about the ramps as well. I'm sure they would be easier on her than the stairs. The stairs are okay for now but am sure she will progress to where she needs something easier.

I am so hyper-vigilant about watching her knee because I know what is going on with it. She's such a little trooper though and so stoic about discomfort. It's really up to me to realize something is wrong because by the time she lets me know it's really bothering her.

I am planning to call the surgeon who originally performed the surgeries and have her evaluate the knee again. I know that surgery is no longer an option but will be interested in what she has to say. I really like her and trust her implicitly.

I'm sorry to hear about Shelby. Sasha's blend is really great. We used it for Honey (she tore a ligament in her knee and had a replaced and then got arthritis in it later). It gave her a new lease of life. I hope Shelby is feeling better

She's doing much much better this afternoon. I'm wondering if maybe she pulled something last night....or perhaps her knee was out and she couldn't get it to pop back in. We went for a short walk this afternoon and she was completely fine.

Thanks for the links to the various supplements. I will definitely take a look at them. I don't like giving the rimadyl. Only gave it because it was what I had on hand. Would definitely prefer something else.

I've thought about the ramps as well. I'm sure they would be easier on her than the stairs. The stairs are okay for now but am sure she will progress to where she needs something easier.

I am so hyper-vigilant about watching her knee because I know what is going on with it. She's such a little trooper though and so stoic about discomfort. It's really up to me to realize something is wrong because by the time she lets me know it's really bothering her.

I am planning to call the surgeon who originally performed the surgeries and have her evaluate the knee again. I know that surgery is no longer an option but will be interested in what she has to say. I really like her and trust her implicitly.
Hey

Qwick had patella surgery last year as well, but he also had arthritis so they couldn't fix him up completely..

Ever since then I'm scared to death that he'll hurt himself again, he is on some pills now Glyco-Flex I and they REALLY help him a lot..

He himself isn't very careful most of the time though, we need to look out for him cause he'll just jump on or off stuff as he wants to (which sometimes ends with him lying on the floor and all paws open)..

It's not easy to monitor him all the time but we do our best and for now he's doing great..
From time to time you can see that he walks differently for a bit but then the next day he seems fine again.. So I think he just does something that hurts then after some rest he's fine again..

But the glyco-flex was prescribed by his surgeon and as long as he's doing so great, I'm very happy with it!

I used glyco-flex with Shelby before her surgery in an effort to see if her knee would tighten. I'm giving her glucosamine/chondroitin tablets now along with Seacure. I've gotten some really great guidance in how to treat her in the future. The concern is arthritis at an early age and am continuing to research treatment for it.

I'm really sorry to hear this Cathy. Please keep us posted. Fingers crossed for you that you'll get some good news at the vet today on how to move forward. :xfngr: :xfngr:

Back