• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poop!

Dublin

Sparky hasn't had a solid poop since we got him 10 days ago - some have almost been but others havent, I mentioned this to the vet on monday & she said that as they wern't slimy/mucousy (sp?) or any blood not to worry too much as it could be stress induced etc....

This morning his poo was quite smelly & there was 2 tiny drops of fresh blood in it so Ive booked in in with the vet later on today. I'm a bit annoyed with my vet though as she tells me it's nothing to worry about & now he's obviously gotten worse (although he is totaly himself in every other way).

You've done the best thing making a vet appointment..The same thing happened when we got Pippin..with him it went on for months on and off my vet tried everything but nothing worked and he devloped colitis..He still remained in great form through all this.It turned out to be a severe allergy to chicken which was the main ingrediant in the food I was giving him! We only found this out by chance when I changed foods at one year and after being fine for ages he had a very bad bout after sneaking a minute piece of chicken that fell on the floor!

He is fine now but seems to have a sensitive stomach /bowel to strange foods..which I found out last week when I tried mine with a little salmon.

Hope your little one will be well again soon and you will get to the bottom of the cause quickly.

Bobby was just like this when we got him. And after numerous tests, they ruled everything out. He also has colitis and a strong allergy to chicken. The vet said that the colitis was most likely brought on by the stress of moving home and he is sensitive to chicken also. He is now on a special diet and has had solid poops for two weeks :p. I wouldn't worry too much. He'll be in safe hands with the vet.

You are doing the right thing, taking Sparky back to the vets. It can be frustrating sometime when you feel something is wrong & the vet tells you not to worry. I hope this gets resolved quickly.

Is chicken allergy a comman thing in cavaliers? It's one of the main ingerdiants in the red mills puppy food he's on now.

What food do you give that dosn't have chicken in? Hopefully it's not that but just incase it is.....

I'll update at the weekend after the vet visit. Thanx everyone :flwr:

Bobby is on Hill's ID dry food for the moment until he gets more settled. Then the vet wants us to slowly introduce Burn's dry food after a few weeks. Certain lines of their food do not contain chicken.

James Wellbeloved do lots of other options (turkey,fish, lamb, duck). It and Royal Canin are the foods I generally recommend for cavaliers in Ireland (Arden Grange and Burns are good too but harder to find; RC is chicken based).

Your vet gave you the right advice. There were no indications to treat anything and little you can do about soft stools without knowing the cause. Puppies often get the runs and often have some problems adjusting to different foods. Moving to where they are alone after being with mum and siblings is also stressful and can lead to the runs. So can having a bit too much attention or activity. Lots of different things in other words; soft stools that aren't runny don't generally mean anything is necessarily actually wrong and settle by themselves.

Once blood shows it is time to go back to the vet. It may be diet, gastroenteritis, allergies, worms. But blood always needs to be checked out especially in puppies as they can decline quickly if something is actually wrong.

Can only agree with all that the others have already said really. Personnally I'd be moving over to JWB Lamb and rice food (Very gradually) as this is generally better for dogs with more sensitive tummies.

Good Luck at the vets tonight and try not be too cross, they can only treat what they see at the time of the consultation and are not well kown for their crystal ball abilities! :lol:

Hali has had many problems with blood in her stool and at 8 months still occasionally does but I have found it is usually what she has eaten, unfortunately I find string, pebbles etcc. in her stool. Thank goodness for the bread and butter suggestion when she was much younger, saving Hali from surgery and now keeping her healthy when she chews on things I do not see her chewing on.

Hali has had many problems with blood in her stool and at 8 months still occasionally does but I have found it is usually what she has eaten, unfortunately I find string, pebbles etcc. in her stool. Thank goodness for the bread and butter suggestion when she was much younger, saving Hali from surgery and now keeping her healthy when she chews on things I do not see her chewing on.

Can I ask what the "bread and butter suggestion" is? :)

I'd be interested in hearing the bread & butter theory too.

well, I took Sparky o the vets friday evening & he looked over him & said theres not too much to worry about, he took his tempreture & that was normal so he thinks it's a food allergy so gave us some hills puppy & some antibiotics for a week. So far his stools are still quite soft but not as smelly & no blood.

I also asked the vet about something else - every time Sparky poops he comes back in & scoots. As he's been treated for worms it cant be that & i asked him to check his anal glanda but he said they are fine too & then he just shruged & went on about how great hills puppy food is! (personaly I'm not a fan but it does seem to be ok for him - so far but I thinkI'm going to put him on the JWB lamb& rice once this bag of food is almost finished & see how he gets on with that)

My vet put Pippin on hills but, while he ate it ok, he was constantly hungry.I had him on a lamb and rice food for a while but he can now tolerate RC cavalier which does have poultry meat in it although it took him a while to adjust to it he is fine now. I just have to make sure he doesn't get his paws on pure chicken...It's comical in our house if someone is eating chicken and lets even a tiny bit fall...the whole family make a mad dash for to pick it up while one person tries to block Pippin!! It's a bit mad but we know the consequences will be a week or two of illness and bloody stools for the poor little guy.

Ps. I too am curious about the bread and butter theory?

Maverick was the same way when I brought him home at 6 months old. I switched him Pedigree puppy chow to an adult lamb and rice and total turn around in 2 days. Now I don't buy anything with poultry in it.

Well, even though I wrote yesterday that things were better - again this morning there was a more normal poop & then after he went & did a very very runny one with what aperared to be a tiny weeny bit of blood in it.

Also like I just read from Pippa, Sparky seems constantly hungry (I know it's only been 3 days) but he wasn't this hungry on the redmills.

I am going to go to the pet shop on my lunch & going to get the JWB lamb & rice & see if that makes a differance.

I hate messing with his food so much but the poor little fella dosn't seem to be putting any weight on & although I wouldn't go so far as to say he's underweight or anything he could defo do with a bit more on him I think.

Bread & butter theory

I don't think we got an answer on the bread and butter theory, did we? We are moving to an area that does a lot of landscaping with rocks, pebbles, etc. We have some in our backyard and are very worried because Reggie & Laci LOVE to eat rocks. Although we'll be out there with them most of the time, there may be times when we can't watch them go do their business.
If bread and butter helps, I'd like to know the "theory" and the "recipe"?:dogwlk: Thanks!

Did your vet check him for coccidia? This is a very common disease that frequently shows up about a week or two after you bring a new puppy home. They get it from their parents or other dogs in their original environs, but it doesn't cause a noticeable problem until they are under some stress, like when they go to their new home. Daisy had that and they prescribed Albumen (or something like that.) It cleared up after about a week on the medicine. They test for it with a stool sample.

Back