• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Finding A Good Groomer

Brian M

HELLO

The last couple of times i have taken the girls to the groomers i have used the one that is resident at the kennels that i occasionally use , but each time i have requested please leave the slippers untouched ,amongst virtually everything else ,but each time they have all been clipped back , i have protested but i dont really want to trust them again even though i leave written instructions which really says just a bath and dry and a very light thinnining on Poppys coat only. So i am back to searching locally for a quality groomers who will do a cavalier cut ie not a lot off if anything at all ,i presume groomers have a qualification of some sorts but would that be any guide or do you think its pot look again, its just that if they dont do what you want it takes time for their coat to grow back again so they look like a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel .

My mother always went to the local groomer and they just dont have a clue about king charles. Every single time she sends her in for a wash she is clipped when she comes out. The time she actually gave her in for a trim they absolutely scalped her.

I don't know of anyone even around me in ireland that is properly qualified in waterford. I havent touched ruby yet. I dont want anyone to touch her or cut her at all.

My mother is trying to order the bench that professionals use for the grooming of her two dogs. She says she will barely trim them herself. She has a king charles and a bishon frise. The bishon is very hard to keep still to cut.:dogwlk:

If you leave written instructions & they still dont do what you ask I would refuse to pay.

when I wanted to be a groomer no qualifications were needed at all.

I did a cav last week who had a lovely fine dark blenhiem coat , I didnt want to shave him as I didnt think he needed it but the owners husband said they wanted him short on the back with feathers left but trimmed.

as the husband picked him up I dont know wether it was done they way they imagined. What I think of as clipped with feathers left on may not be what the next person thinks of . I know it wont be anything like how the other groomer in town does it.

Hmm!

Can I just ask why you want to have their feet left untouched?? I always take the soles off the feet of mine and trim back to a nice length but still looking natural. I (Personnally) cannot understand why people insist on allowing their dogs foot hair to get so long?? I have always trimmed my dogs foot hair, YES PARTICULARLY ON SHOW DOGS!! I have NEVER been penalised in the show ring for doing so, nor has it ever been mentioned in any critique a judge has written!

If trimmed correctly slippers will still look totally natural, but not be so long as to look an untidy mess!!

Just my opinion on slippers is all!!

As for body coat, some dogs do have incredibly thick, dense coats, and particularly if they suffer with their hearts this can make them incredibly hot and uncomfortable in hot weather so surely it is kinder to have this thinned out?
Bitches with very heavy trouser feathering can also become matted and smelly particularly if they are breeding bitches, surely a "hygiene" trim down below is also to their (and your) benefit??

Don't get me wrong I LOATHE seeing Cavaliers that have been trimmed as if they are Cockers or American Cockers but at the end of the day you have to think of the dogs overall comfort. Similarly if a groomer had NOT done what I asked of them I would be loathe to pay for their services!!

Just my take on things is all!!

Hmm!

Can I just ask why you want to have their feet left untouched?? I always take the soles off the feet of mine and trim back to a nice length but still looking natural. I (Personnally) cannot understand why people insist on allowing their dogs foot hair to get so long?? I have always trimmed my dogs foot hair, QUOTE]

thats the way I trim my dogs feet but the majority of groomers will remove all the hair from the foot
one groomer I worked in ( only for 3 hours mind ,lol) shaved everything to the skin half way up their leg so westies looked like they had fluffy trousers on !

the groomer who taught me shaved all spaniels heads too ! , I took one of my charlies in & as a demonstration she shaved his head ( starting at the eyebrows) & tail then left the rest for me to do . He looked awful & his pom pom tail never grew back.

I,m sure i will learn as i go along. I was only saying that i would'nt trim my dog because i didnt want all her hair chopped off. I'm sure i will have to do the things you mentioned as she is getting older. I'm just looking forward to seeing her with long hair and long hairy ears etc. yum yum:luv:

I have alot to learn yet.:xfngr:

I,m sure i will learn as i go along. I was only saying that i would'nt trim my dog because i didnt want all her hair chopped off. I'm sure i will have to do the things you mentioned as she is getting older. I'm just looking forward to seeing her with long hair and long hairy ears etc. yum yum:luv:

I have alot to learn yet.:xfngr:

Please don't think I am having a go at you!!

I really must get some pics taken of an overgrown foot before & after I neaten it up! There are ways of doing things so that they still look totally natural yet they are going to make your life easier too! When you have had a gang of dogs with 2 "'s of foot feather go outside in the rain, then trek inside over your (Usually just cleaned/vacuumed) kitchen floor/carpet you will know what I mean! :lol:

Tri-colours and Black & Tans having the denser thicker coats really need to be looked after, but there is a way of doing it so that they still look like they have a full coat and have not been "scalped" :yikes: :lol:

Hi Cathryn, I would very much like to see a picture of a trimmed foot so that when Phoebe needs her first trim, I could print out your pic in order to show it to the groomer rather than trying to describe what I want. It would be a bit like trying to avoid those disastrous hair cuts we have all had in the past because we were unable to describe exactly what we wanted!!:yikes
Aww ..........come everyone, you can't pretend it hasn't happened to you at some time or another! :p

Will see what I can do for you!! *Desperatley tries to think of a dog who hsan't just had a foot trim* :lol: :lol:

Hi
I totally agree about what you say about the slippers ,as i indicated i have requested and left written instructions that the slippers should only be neatly rounded / slighty trimmed without taking the fur back to the foot and the hair on the soles shall be flat trimmed only but upon collection on both occasions the hair was trimmed right to the shape of the foot so virtually no slippers left at all,i also request the ears just to be slightly smoth rounded but without reducing length were possible so the ears are just neater and i further request where needed a slight bloomer trim .And as i said for Poppy as her coat is thick and heavy just a slight thinning where needed but nothing of the length . I do not show so i cannot be corrected by judges but my girls to me want to look like cavaliers but with a slightly neat appeararnce without affecting the true natural cavalier show or swagger or even their aura of superiority/disdain they can all flash when they want, but when i pay my groomer a hundred quid for three and they come out with no slippers at all sorry i am off sme where else but where too ?:mad:

My mother always went to the local groomer and they just dont have a clue about king charles. Every single time she sends her in for a wash she is clipped when she comes out. The time she actually gave her in for a trim they absolutely scalped her.

I don't know of anyone even around me in ireland that is properly qualified in waterford. I havent touched ruby yet. I dont want anyone to touch her or cut her at all.

My mother is trying to order the bench that professionals use for the grooming of her two dogs. She says she will barely trim them herself. She has a king charles and a bishon frise. The bishon is very hard to keep still to cut.:dogwlk:

Hi ruby2 not sure where you are in waterford ,I'm originally from ring outside Dungarvan:) but i know of a lady in kilkenny on waterford road about 15mins from kil city , and she grooms and has kennels on a very small scale. I work with her daughter and she quite happily explained how she trimmed cavaliers when we took in our two. and she's very exact baout levaing most 'feathering' as is, i'll see if i can pm some info on if this location is any good to you.
:)

Hi
i pay my groomer a hundred quid for three and they come out with no slippers at all sorry i am off sme where else but where too ?:mad:

Goodness me Brian a £100 - bring them to me I'll do em for free! ( I'm no profressional groomer but I'm quite handy with a pair of scissors!)

This was Ellie after her trim, I was VERY particular on what I wanted doing. I even wrote it down . I was very pleased with the result, even though I knew they thought I was being very fussy.....But tis MY dog , my money(y).....
Ellies.jpg

hi

i have had my tri cut at the groomers about 5 times on the 3rd time she was really cut well and looked liked a tiny puppy again they also cut off her tail so she lost all her feather it has taken along time to grow back and still didnt look the same so 3 days ago i got some dog clippers and a friend of mine offerd to cut her i was to scared in case i ruined her coat i said to him ok go head we had got going and half way through he asked for a cup of tea i turned my back for a couple of minutes only to turn back round and find he had cut all her tail off again :yikesi just stared at her little stump of a tail that had taken so long to grow again i couldnt shout at him it was my fault for not saying :oops: now when she is outside i can no longer look for the white tail from now on its back to the groomers with a big letter saying dont cut the tail :)

There is a good groomer in Wigan at Anrich Veterinary Hospital. It's £25 for a bath and trim. I think they are good at listening to what you want and they write it down and you sign. Just be very specific as to what you want. There is a viewing window where you can watch your dog being done. It's really clean too. The only draw back is the distance, I don't know whether you'd want to travel that far? There are two apointments available each day either 9am or 1pm. We usually book 1pm and they have not usually finished until about 5:15 so it's a long job. It's not far out of Wigan town centre so I usually go and do some shopping whilst I'm waiting. Hope this helps

Back