• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

does ruby colour dog go lighter?

My half sister had a similar thing happen to her best friend - the dog was in the front seat, unrestrained and they hit a bus. Both my half-sister's friend and the dog died. The papers said they thought the dog had distracted her or gotten in the way of the controls.

That said, I'm sure her friend just didn't understand the possible dangers, and the end result was tragic.

I am certain Karlin was just meaning to educate to make sure nothing awful happens to you or Ruby while you're enjoying a nice ride in the car. You might try a car harness for the back seat. Lucky used to whine while in a crate but really enjoys riding with me now in the back seat since he's restrained but can still see me.

Thanks for all the advise and good wishes. You are all very good.

I won't have ruby in front again i can assure you all of that. And 'chardonnay' i'm very sorry about your story.

Thats so sad.

I've always noticed that some blenheims get big, light colored fluffy ears, too. Daisy's ears look a little light at times, especially underneath. I've wondered how much of a fault that would be in the show ring (if any.) Just out of curiosity, though. Daisy's spayed and is not a show candidate. But in my Cavalier Club annual, I see some beautiful pictures of Blenheims with what I would consider very light ears.

At a specialty show this past summer, one of the class winners had what looked like to me hugely teased ears that were very light. I thought it was cute but not really Cavalier-like. She won, though, so the judge apparently disagreed. I noticed that the two ladies sitting next to me seemed to know the handler, so I asked them, "How in the world would she get a Cavalier's ears to be that big?" They said "With her, it's how does she get them to be that small -- you should see that dog's father!" It kind of surprised me. But then I heard the handler say to someone else "we need to go fluff so and so's ears." So apparently, they were "fluffed" and the implication I took from it was that the handler was telling the other lady that this judge apparently likes fluffy ears, so let's go do it.

I don't know, I'm just learning a little bit about showing and definitely not very knowledgeable, but I found it interesting. It was definitely a different look. I think I remember Karlin once commenting on this board a long time ago about the fluffy, blown-out ear look.

I'm like a sponge at these shows. I love hearing these conversations and learning a little about the culture. I took a conformation class (structure and movement) at a specialty show in December for fun and it was really interesting both to hear from the well-known judge who was teaching it, and to hear the comments from all the show breeders in the room. One comment that seemed to recur all the time when they were showing pictures of dogs moving was "She might look good if she lost about 5 pounds!" or "that one is out of condition." I guess we do that to dogs as well as humans! :) It's hard to be thin enough or pretty enough!

Sorry, got a little (a lot) off topic there!

Ruby2 - Oakley has always had a splash of very blonde hair on his head - we used to twirl it and make it like a unicorn....... I brushed him yesterday and it was gone!:(

I'm hoping it will come back cos it was so cute :)

Back