Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trimming nails

Post Thanks / Like

Default trimming nails

i have just bought a pair of clippers from the pet shop to trim vegas's nails but not sure how much to take off there are a few curled round on his front paws should they be cut at an angle
    where would I be without my dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There's advice on clipping nails somewhere in the Library. If you aren't sure what to do it is best to have a vet trim them, and show you how to do it. It is very easy to cut into the quick which will cause a lot of pain and bleeding and can make the dog fearful of having its feet handled at all. A groomer will also do nails.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Okay!

If you look at your dogs claws you will see that they are white and then as they get closer to the paw they have a pink line in them? That pink line is the "quick" and you should never cut into it if you can help it, it contains a blood vessel and much bleeding will ensue! Any breeder/groomer worth their salt will admit to having done this several times in their life however! (Usually to a dog they don't own! : )

To cut your dogs nails work from the underside of the paw as this will give a better angle plus you will cut the nail level with the pad, work out how short you want the nail to be and make a quick cut with the clippers and there you go! If nails are very long then 2 or 3 cuts may be needed before the nail is the correct length.

You can find more info here http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/nailtrim.htm

HTH??
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not sure where you are located, but if you are in the US, you can bring him by the grooming department at Petsmart as a walk-in. They'll make time to clip them right there for you usually and it just takes a couple minutes. I think it is $8, but worth it IMO, because you don't have to worry about cutting to the quick.

The vet will be more likely to show you how though ...
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

many thanks i guess as long as i dont go near the quick i'll; be alright. it seems to be just the front ones that needs trimmed he got them done at the vets about 2 months ago and she suggested i buy some clippers and do it myself so here's trying

Post Thanks / Like

If you plan to cut the nails yourself, I'd have styptic powder close by just incase.

About a month ago Nora had to go into the vet for a dental cleaning and a tooth removed. I asked them to also trim her nails. The next day Nora was out in the snow & ice...and all of a sudden there was all this blood on her foot...LOTS of blood!!! We got her inside and washed her foot off with water and i could see that her nail had been cut very close to the quick and the snow/ice must have broken off a piece of her nail.

Anyway......I was shocked to see so much blood!!!! I did have styptic powder on hand which is used to clot the blood and stop the bleeding.
    Lynn
    Momma to Molly (blen) Maxwell (tri) Nora (blen) and 2 kitties

Ohhh yeah...and 2 human (20 & 21 yr old) "children"

Post Thanks / Like

oh poor wee thing i would just panic if something like that happened. Where do you get the powder can you buy it from the pet shop

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you can get it at a petshop.
    Lynn
    Momma to Molly (blen) Maxwell (tri) Nora (blen) and 2 kitties

Ohhh yeah...and 2 human (20 & 21 yr old) "children"

Post Thanks / Like

I use clippers that have a vial of stypic powder built into the handle! It's important to have the powder within reach when you're clipping nails. It's not a scary process once you get used to it, just do be careful. I made Kingston bleed one time and it was just a tiny bit of blood but I felt HORRIBLE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I find a regular road walk keeps my boys nails nice an short. However with regards to their dew claws I clip those with a pair of human nail clippers - the dog ones look so gruesome

I just nip the ends off - the wierd thing is Oakley will let me do it but won't let me trim the underside of his paws, whereas Merlin will let you trim the underside of his paws but won't let you trim his dewclaws.
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)