• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dog Breeders have lives too!!

Cathryn

Right OK I am absolutely, totally fuming right now!! :swear:

The story goes like this, last Monday I have a phone call about an older puppy I have available (This is NOT an advert by the way!) I discuss the puppy with the lady for some time, ask her as many questions as she asks me, she gives me her home and mobile :blabla: numbers and arranges to call me Saturday to confirm she is coming on Sunday.

Last night she calls to confirm that YES she will be here, she is bringing her friend along who is interested in the second puppy I have available too! All fine, see you at 11!

I am up with the lark this morning, hastily cleaning around, yelling at the kids to keep the place tidy and to stay in their rooms. The dogs go unwalked, my Mum comes over to help out with the boys whilst these people are here.

11a.m no-one arrives, that's OK you can't control the traffic, 11:30 then 11:45 then midday!! I start getting worried that they may have been in an accident, held up in roadworks or got lost, so I call her mobile, it just rings and rings.
12:15 I call her home, no answer, 12:45 call her mobile, can't be put through comes the message, so I call her at home again and leave a message expressing my concern, 1:00, 1:15, 1:30 I am very worried by now so call her mobile again, cannot be put through, try again off my mobile same message, it is now 2:00pm she obviously isn't coming and I am about to take my poor Mum back home again.

What really gets me is that we gave up a trip out today to accommodate this lady, my Mum gave up her own time to come over and help me out, she could have had other things she wanted to do as well.

I accept that people change their minds and don't go to view puppies but surely to goodness it isn't that difficult to call the breeder and tell them they cannot make it, or that they have changed their minds??? That way we can get on with our day to day lives, our dogs can go for their long week-end walks instead of missing out, our kids can go to the park rather than spend the day trying (and failing :lol:) to keep the house tidy!!

I genuinely hope that nothing has happened to this lady and her friend, but surely to goodness one quick phonecall isn't that difficult??

How annoying that they confirmed and then didn't even give you the courtesy of a phone call when they changed their mind.

I hope they didn't get in an accident. Maybe it is for the best anyway ... it tells you a little something about them, doesn't it? If they aren't responsible enough to give you the courtesy of a phone call, I wonder how well they'd do taking care of a puppy ...?

How frustrating for you. A simple call and "We have changed our minds" or "Can we reschedule" would have made all the difference!!

Oh Cathryn-- that is frustrating.

I had a couple late for a meeting at our house to see a pup. I gave them VERY easy directions--they called a half hour late. They'd been in a fender bender 5 miles north of where I live (they were coming from the south and didn't follow my directions and were lost). THEY decided it was an act of G*d and they figured they shouldn't get a pup. I decided if they couldn't follow easy directions-- IT MUST BE a sign.

Placing the dogs/pups is the hardest part. I have had the most gorgeous pup to home for the last 6 weeks- he is a blenheim (AND IS NOW PLACED) and his sister is a tri. Everyone who saw the tri wanted her. He is by far the better pet and she is staying here. No calls for a couple of weeks, then you get people who are on the fence about getting a dog, or spending that much money in this economy. Since we chose a home for him, I've had 4 calls in the last 5 days wanting pups. This time of year (Mid April to May) I will be inundated with puppy calls.

How annoying that they confirmed and then didn't even give you the courtesy of a phone call when they changed their mind.

I hope they didn't get in an accident. Maybe it is for the best anyway ... it tells you a little something about them, doesn't it? If they aren't responsible enough to give you the courtesy of a phone call, I wonder how well they'd do taking care of a puppy ...?

I think that is so true. I hope they havent been in an accident. But if they are not nice enough to care about a person how could they care for a dog. They are very selfish.....

Next time don't bother with the house...It's the dog they come to see. When i went to see ruby as a puppy. I was brought in the back door into the utility and saw the mother and father of ruby and had lovely chat etc...in the utility!!!!!! I did'nt mind. The house was massive but i went to see the pup......

Let them take you as you are or not at all......:)

I hope they have a good excuse, but besides someone being seriously ill or held hostage....what excuse is there?

It seems to me that people of this world are becoming more and more self centered...such a shame.

The last thing that a cavalier pup needs is an unreliable owner.I'm sure you'll find someone else who'll show more committment than that.I always believe you can judge a person's character by their manners, a simple phone call is a simple enough thing to make.
The words time and waster spring to mind...

How frustrating and how rude of them. I know you're a big softy though so don't believe any old excuse when/if they call you ok? ;)

That is really not on. It wouldn't take a minute to phone you.... its doesnt cost anything to be considerate. I mean shes had more than enough time to get in touch if she had a change of heart, even if there was a problem she could have phoned you. IMHO I wouldnt place a puppy with them. :)

THEY decided it was an act of G*d and they figured they shouldn't get a pup. I decided if they couldn't follow easy directions-- IT MUST BE a sign.

:lol: I agree.

Rudeness is rudeness -- if you aren't going to make an appointment, then cancel or explain the delay.

That said I am always late going to homechecks -- but usually because I get lost and always forget the next time to allow for this. :rolleyes: The fact that there are almost no street signs or direction signs on Irish roads or in towns doesn't help. :sl*p:

God forbid anything happened to them- chances are they couldnt be bothered to ring though. Its more and more common these days, lack of courtesy! It is a major bug bear! People just dont consider the feelings of others any more!

My mum breeds another breed and the number of times this has happened to them is unbelievable. Like you she feels if they cannot be bothered to turn up or let her know they cannot make it then she cannot be 'bothered' to let them have one of her precious puppies!!

:updte:

Hi all!

Thanks for the messages, what makes it worse it that she claims to be a vet nurse and wanted the puppy for agility (for which he would be ideal!)

I rang her home number again and got her "Other Half" who said she had just "popped out" :confused: He DID NOT seem to know what I was on about when I mentioned she had arranged to come and view the dog, just said he had been at work today?? (Now surely she'd have mentioned a puppy viewing??)

I am deeply concerned about this woman, I do know for a fact that there are some (incredibly sad) people out there who spend their week-ends travelling around looking at puppies with NO INTENTION of buying one as a "hobby" :swear:

I have rung the puppy register Co-Ordinator with whom the pups are registered to warn him about her, from what I was told another breeder saw her this morning but refused to sell to her when it appeared her "other half" did not seem to realise she was actually intending to buy a puppy!! :eek:

For those breeders of you out there who "lurk" (You Know Who You Are!!) This lady is called Ruth, is from the North-Hampton Area and freely gives out her home and mobile numbers which I will happily give you if you PM me!!
Her story to me was that she lost her B/T last year and said no more but now really wants one again, she has half a dozen Cavaliers already and does agility with them, she prefers small Cavaliers and can get all veterinary work done for free as a job related "perk" :eek:
I also mentioned a Ruby I had too, she told me her "friend" was coming with her and was interested in him also for agility but that she wanted a litter by him. I told her we would discuss this when they got here as they both have endorsed registrations (Probably what put her off!)

At the end of the day I have had a wasted day, but my precious babies have had a very lucky escape!!!

Thanks for your support guys, NO WAY is she getting one of my babies, but I would like an apology from her for a totally wasted day :swear:

Hi
Bloody rude ,lucky escape for both you and the pups ,somebody upstairs was watching over you not those other people.:)

Oh goodness Cathryn I'm sorry they messed you about but does sound like it was for the best..not the sort of people you'd want to ahve a puppy anyway.

You may have saved a Cavalier by letting the other breeders know about her...so perhaps your day was not wasted at all. :flwr:

Unreliable and selfish people really make me furious :mad:. At least you know what these women are like and your babies have had a lucky escape. I wouldn't be surprised if she wanted to breed from them but their registations being endorsed has put her off. I'm so glad your babies have been protected and they didn't end up with these women. They'll get the homes they deserve I'm sure.

phew Cathryn, that sounds like a near miss for your pups. Shame yours and your family's day was spoilt by them though :(.

You know, it never occurred to me how difficult it must be to try and ensure your puppies go to a genuine home.

From a rescue perspective, I know how hard it is to find the ideal home for a dog, but rescue dogs are generally neutered, so that weeds some of the not so genuine folk :(.

I've heard of people spending their weekends looking round show-homes, or properties for sale, or tyre-kicking on used car forecourts, but I'm shocked that there are people sad enough to go looking at pups for no reason too :(.

Cathryn, you must also be very careful about everyone you invite in to see your pups. There was a robbery in north Orange County (California) this past year where two men came to a home under the guise of purchasing a yorkie pup. The men held the family at gunpoint and bagged all the puppies! Fortunately, it was big news and the puppies were recovered and the suspects jailed when they tried to sell the pups. Most people are sincere but some have other motives. Glad you have spread the word about this unscrupulous lady, something is definately fishy with her story!

Have you still not heard from them??!! That's just downright rude unless they have a really good excuse.

Back