• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What was your other choice of breed you considered?

I'd love to own another rough collie one day since my big fella Jack died, but l wouldn't be without a cavalier in my life now, I also own a shih tzu Sophie and a collie/gsd Oscar as well as Cody so you could say l love having different breeds,:)

I have never considered a different small sized dog. If I was to get a medium size I would go with a springer since that's what my parents have and if I was going for larger I'd get a husky or Shepard/husky mix

When we decided our next dogs should be smaller than our Boxers, which are not easy to take away on holiday due to their size, I had my heart set on a Boston Terrier. They looked a bit like a mini Boxer & also sounded like they had a very similar personality... playfull, lively, sense of humour & big dog in a little body.

Here in Oz the BT is not easily come by and I started to worry about the size of the gene pool.

The Cavalier was my husband's first choice.... pretty good choice too as it turns out. :)

I wanted a lhasa apso, But got my tricolour charlie instead ( & 11 miserable years later the evil little madam is still here ,lol)

I'm glad I didnt get a lhasa as i've realised I can't stand anything with a beard & fluffy legs , too much work to keep clean

Before that I think I wanted an irish setter or border collie , but my dad said it had to be small so when my sister got her charlie puppy I got his half sister.

If I had a house of my own i'd probably have a Bullmastiff , I also have the strange urge for a terrier ( fox or border ) no idea why ,lol

early 2003, 5 years ago, i was over at my moms watching tv and a show came on about Cavaliers. i had never even thought about having a dog. but i fell in love watching the show. it was like an hour long and very interesting. talked about how smart and loving they were, great with kids, etc. so once the show went off i jumped on mamas computer to see about much one would cost and was shocked! :p
so ive done alot of research the past 5 years, reading, online, etc.
And here we are 5 years later and can finally afford one. i can't hardly wait for christmas to get here so i can own my first doggie, a cavalier king charles spaniel!

When Leo my Maltese x died in March I had decided I wanted either a cavalier or Japanese Chin, the chin because I once worked for a chin breeder in England & I just loved them. WHen I looked around I couldn't find any chins & the woman I worked for didn't have any pups or any due so I looked around for Cav's & found quite a few here so I made a few calls & eventually found Sparky - wouldn't be without the little fella now!

From a Disney movie, I was one who always wanted a cocker spaniel but when we first got married we settled on Lab/Setter mixes. Have also owned a Lab/Golden mix and finally 5 years ago a Cocker Spaniel. My dad was dying of cancer and he knew as a child how much I wanted a cocker spaniel so he gave me my "childhood dream dog". She was a difficult dog at times and when she snapped at a neighbors dog causing the small dog a broken jaw, I was told by the vet & insurance carrier to euthanize & was fortunate a rescue was found and she now lives in a home where her "quirks" are not an issue.

I deserately needed a dog in my life and searched and searched for a perfect breed for me. I have chronic pain/illness and a dog who is gentle, requires minimal walking, likes other dogs, people, kids, etc... I knew this was really the dog I always wanted. "Lady" in Lady in the Tramp had to be a cavalier. My spouse was concerned about my mental state and loosing another dog, our last died of cancer before the cocker spaniel and when he read up on all my investigations he surprised me with Hali.

Everyday we both realize how perfect she is. We took her with us this weekend to visit our daughter in college and "she is just perfect" and for my husband to say that SHE IS PERFECT is really saying something. When I can walk her I do and if I can't my husband takes her. She is truly a gift from heaven.

Other breeds I considered were Goldens, Pit Bulls (I was involved with Pit Bull rescue in Chicago and fostered a few), Bernese Mountain Dogs..BUT...I've wanted to Cavalier for at least 15 years...I'm not even sure when I first saw them, but after house-sitting for two of them when I was teaching, I KNEW that was the breed that I wanted. Unfortunately, being a teacher, I couldn't afford one :rolleyes: I was given the name of a breeder for one of the parents I had met while teaching, and put that piece of paper somewhere safe so I would never lose it. So six LONG years later I was finally in the position to afford my dream dog...and now we have TWO of them! :D I think my fiance would eventually like a bigger dog too, and he grew up with Goldens...so we'll probably have a Golden someday (in ADDITION to at least one Cavalier, of course!) too :D

Papillons and Pomeranians -- both mostly for their over-the-top cuteness. (I'm a sucker for a cute face.) Their reputation in terms of temperament put me off of them. I really only ever wanted a Cavalier, but if I couldn't get one, these were my 2 second choices.

My breed choices were Flatcoated retriever, Newfoundland and Cavalier, and I still do want the first two and will eventually have one of each but I knew that at that time I would not have the space or knowledge to train either of those two so I chose a cavalier due to the size (easier to manage) and to get more experienced training before moving on to bigger breeds. Although I will probably always have at least one cavalier in the house anyway, they're just too great to not have.

My other dogs are widget and grub! (get it? widgety grub!!)
they are both JR crossed with lakeland terriers - very loving good girls:

here is grub!!
dogs006.jpg

and this is widget:
dogs002.jpg

From day one, they have been brilliant with Loobie and would not be without her!!:eek:

My heart was set on a Cavalier after seeing one on TV years ago. I did research a few other small breeds such as Pomeranians and Yorkies, but my boyfriend at the time said he wouldn't be seen walking either of those.

My other dogs are widget and grub! (get it? widgety grub!!)
they are both JR crossed with lakeland terriers - very loving good girls:

here is grub!!
dogs006.jpg

and this is widget:
dogs002.jpg

From day one, they have been brilliant with Loobie and would not be without her!!:eek:

They're gorgeous :D

Lisa has always said if we had the space, that she would love a Grate Dane, but I don't think we'l ever have a house big enough

Back