• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tooth Removal

wildandcrazyguys

My 2 6 1/2 month old pups have a few puppy teeth that haven't come out and I was wondering what age is a good age to get them removed or does it matter?

As young as possible so that it does not impact on the way their next teeth come through. I got my babies done when they had their sterilisation at 6 months.

Our Rosie had two teeth that didn't fall out and when the vet talked about pulling them, I joked about tug-o-war with her loofa toy. He chuckled....but she had been spayed already and I don't like anaesthesia if it can be avoided.

That night and most of the next day, we played a lot of tug-o-war and saved a dental fee! Worth a try! :)

She didn't even notice, either.....:luv::luv::luv:

Vets will tend to take them out when the dogs are neutered as that is an easy time; the dogs are under anyway.Most teeth do eventually come out on their own though.

Your vet is the right (and necessary :)) person to consult with on this question because the answer will really depend on your dog's individual situation and it is hard to generalise -- eg whether the incoming teeth are affected by the baby teeth, whether the baby teeth look like they will come out and so forth. Some cases are of greater concern than others. Most can wait until a neuter is happening if this is being done as I'd not put a dog under general more than is necessary.

Back