• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Scruffy Ears

rosiesmum

Please can anyone give me some advice about Rosie's ears.

Here's a picture of Rosie seconds after I gave her a brush :yikes

Rosie028.jpg

When I finished brushing her, her ears were looking really pretty and tidy. As soon as she got off my lap, she did her usual head to tail shake and her ears ended up looking 10 times worse than before I brushed them :mad:

Her ears actually look better if I don't brush them, but they end up very tatty which is not good.

Her ear hair is very thick, but flyaway, so is there something that I can use to either thin the hair or stop it being so flyaway?

Here's another picture of her yesterday in the garden looking for her 'friend' - Sooty, the neighbours cat.

Rosie027.jpg

(her left front slipper isn't shorter than the rest - she's just standing on it :))

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sarah

I don't have any particular advice, I just wanted to say that she is absolutely gorgeous, scruffy ears or not! :) She's got about the most human looking sweet little face I have ever` seen on a dog. And her coat looks beautiful!

She is gorgeous,Pippin does the shake too after I brush and his ears always look messy ..like they'd never seen a brush..but cute too.

Oh my gosh.....scruffy ears or not...that is the cutest little face!! I have no suggestions. As soon as I finish my guys, they're both a mess again :rolleyes: But I laughed at you explaining that one foot feathering wasn't shorter than the other, she's just standing on it :D I had a foster with the longest ears I've ever seen. It was so funny to watch her walk when she was sniffing the ground, she kept stepping on her ears. Now those were some difficult ears to keep brushed or clean.;)

Oh, she is so pretty. With that face, who cares about scruffy ears. What a doll. judy and dixie

Alfs allways looks SCRUFFIE,after i brush him he rolls around on carpets,lino and grass.

Ours look like that as soon as they get up and shake their head once. I've wondered too...

Barney is just the same! he looked like an abandoned dog just before we had him trimmed the other week, despite our best efforts! Its the same with some humans though isnt it. You could dress them in the most expensive designer gear and they'd still look scruffy! :)

Dont worry my lot are just the same. I spend ages grooming them, put them down off the table and first thing they do is roll all over in their beds..result, worse than before grooming !:rolleyes:
Rosie is a sweet girl with or without groomed ears.:)

Daisy steps on her ears when she's got her nose down sniffing, too. Sometimes she almost falls down. Poor thing. She's got really long ears and they are the first thing to "go" after a bath in terms of looking brushed.

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments :).

I was surprised she sat and posed so nicely for me - usually, as soon as she sees the camera, she turns away or gives me dirty looks:D

I thought I was the only one with a scruffy eared cavalier - every photo I have seen on this site shows beautiful cavaliers with lovely, well groomed ears, so I thought Rosie was the exception with permanent 'bad (ear) hair day' :D

I must admit she also 'ear trips' as well - I'm waiting for the day she goes head over tail. No doubt she will pick herself up and give a look to say 'I meant to do that, honest!'

Her ears have calmed down now, so maybe I'll leave them alone for a few days!

No, my little mop head just had her ears combed and brushed and she looked lovely for about 30 seconds, until she took off after that darned butterfly that flew into the bushes!

I have also been having a bit of static electricity in her coat making it stand up on its own! (It's very dry here in So Cal right now)...the other day on tv there was a guy who said just to lightly wipe over coat with an unscented dryer towel (like Bounce) after brushing. Works like a charm to get rid of the fly aways!

You don't know scruffy until you've met Oakley in the flesh! NOW he IS scruffy - again 2 seconds after being brushed he look a state again:(

Ah no,Annie is the scuffiest! Even while I'm grooming her she makes a move and half her coat looks wild. I use conditioner b/4 combing and it looks good just about equal to the time it took to spray her :). I do use Silk Spirits from Chris Christensen if I want her to look groomed longer than the 30 sec. time line :rolleyes:.

I think we need to have a photo competition for the scruffiest look immediately after grooming :D

The winner gets a big slobbery kiss from their furbaby and loads of virtual slobbery kisses from all the other entrants:D

OMG Sarah....I was just thinking "hmmmm....this sounds like a photo contest them.....scruffy dogs".....and then got to your post.:)

Back