• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cardiologists

srp999

Having went through the MVD mill with our last two Cavs both whom finally sucumb to this disease i wondered if there is a list of Cariologists in the uk ?

Vets have a bad habit of writing off Cavs as no hopers when it comes to this, it would be helpful if we could have got another expert opinion from a cardiologist.

Pup number 3 at nine months is full of energy and the joys of life but it doesn,t stop us looking for any signs of this blight, hopefully his life will be full of fun without being touched with this terrible affliction.

:dogwlk:

There's probably no more than one or two in the entire North. There is only one in the Republic, in Dublin. I'd ask your vet for a name or if there's a vet school in the north, there will probably be a cardiologist. Or ring the Northern CKCS club.

There is a cardiologist in the North who does scans. We were just told yesterday that our ten week B & T has a heart murmur. After I burst into tears the vet told me that there is a cardiologist who can do a scan for £230. The vet was really minimising the whole thing though saying that he might grow out of it...it made me wonder how much he knew about the breed, or perhaps maybe myself being new to the breed was over reacting. Charlie came from one of what I believe to be the best breeders in Ireland so I was very surprised that it was him and not our 17 week old Blenheim whom we got from a less well known breeder in S Ireland. I was so upset I rang the breeder and she calmed me down quite a bit. She said she had Charlie checked thoroughly by her vet who gave him the all clear. She said that sometimes they do get heart murmurs after their vaccinations etc and for other reasons but that it doesn't always mean they have the MVD. She told me not to worry but that if I wanted the best person to take him to is Alistair Gibson in Belfast. We are going to take Charlie to one of the more senior vets in the practise in a couple of weeks and take it from there. Does anyone have any advice as we are completely new to the breed? Is there a chance Charlie could grow out of it and what is the likelihood of this? Any advice and info would be greatly appreciated too,

Your vet is actually right and I wouldn't really bother with a scan at this time if the vet suspects this is what it likely is. Cavaliers cannot have MVD at such a young age; it would be some other heart condition. But this is almost certainly a puppy flow murmur -- there's info on this in the health section of the Library. (y)

Thank you so much Karlin for this information!!! I am giving you a big virtual hug! I feel relieved to know that puppies of Charlie's age can't have MVD. I will of course continue to have him checked to see if it resolves. Off now to read the link you gave. Thanks again for the info, you're a star!!! xx

Back