Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, the Time Finally Came!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well, the Time Finally Came!

Today when I got home from school, I was noticing Mya was licking her "area" quite a bit. So I looked at it, and it was pretty noticably swollen. I kinda freeked out a little but then I realized she might be in heat. I haven't seen any signs of blood anywhere YET. She has been acting her same old goofy self today. Don't know 100% she's in heat yet but i'm pretty sure. She's just over 8 months so it's her time anyways. Please some comments and advice on how to treat her in heat? No bathing, walking? I'll be sleeping but i'll check in the morning or after school tommorow.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any advice, but if you search "heat" on this board you'll see several threads...here's one, I hope the link works and good luck!

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showth...highlight=heat
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It does sound like she is coming into season. It is typical for the vulva to become large & puffy looking and the discharge is often almost invisible to start with. If you dab her vulva with a white tissue you may see a straw coloured to pale pink discharge. This is a sure sign she is in heat. Anyway you better assume she is & play it safe. Her season will last about 3 weeks, but it is wise to tack a few weeks onto that for safety sake. Don't want to get it wrong.

You can do all normal activities regarding bathing etc, but you will not be wanting to take her out into public areas, or leave her anywhere where she could escape or a dog could get at her. You will need to be extremely vigilant because her drive to find a boyfriend will be strong & there is no accounting to what hussies our little girls can become
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

And that's not counting the number of "guy friends" that'll be sitting on your doorstep!!

Seriously, walk her on a leash on your own property.....males will scale fences to get to her.

We used to have a German Shep. neighbour and approx. 40 or so males blocking the road when she was in heat!!

We're in the same area, glad to see you on the board.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like she is in season to me. Please be very careful and keep a close eye on her when she is out in your garden. Even on a walk admirers will try it on and pester you so dont go out alone ask someone to go with you, perhaps an adult.
    Karen and the gang

the more people I meet the more I love my dogs

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a garden, I'd keep her on your own property. Some male dogs can get very aggressive, if they can't get what they want, and you'd have little chance to fend off a determined large breed.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    And that's not counting the number of "guy friends" that'll be sitting on your doorstep!!

Seriously, walk her on a leash on your own property.....males will scale fences to get to her.

We used to have a German Shep. neighbour and approx. 40 or so males blocking the road when she was in heat!!

We're in the same area, glad to see you on the board.
    Really. I must live in a very protected area. We don't have dogs running loose ANYWHERE. Now, that could be because of all the coyotes, a few wolves and a cougar was shot yesterday not that far from us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi
    My little baby Rosie is just 9 months old and she is just finishing her first season although when she gets a chance outside in the garden she goes piggy back with her big sister Poppy so i have decided as my other two are already spayed her visit to the vets will be about mid July.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Sandy, We're right in an affluent area of the city.

These dogs weren't running loose, the staff or nannies would put them out in the garden for a pee break and they'd take off through open gates etc.
    Quite a few had leashes dragging, so I suppose they broke away from the dog walkers or nannies who had a choice between staying with tots in strollers or chasing the dogs.

The only amusing thing about it, was the "suits" in expensive cars coming by to collect the males and shouting at them for being "naughty dog" or "naughty boy"! lol

At least they knew where to find their males...securing their own gates might have helped.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your replies. Well today when I got home, she wasnt as excited and instead of jumping on me, she kind of walked over to me and asked to be pet. Still when I have food, she'll go crazy. Still no signs of blood either.