• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What a day! Dylan runs off.

*Pauline*

Dylan managed to get off his extra long horse lead today, it frightened the life out of me and he wouldn't come back. I can't believe that huge clip came undone, it's bigger than any dog lead clasp. We were in the big park in town on market day with loads of cars around if he left the park. I nearly caught him once but he slipped away and I fell over. I finally got him as he sniffed some other dogs wee up a post! The lady I was talking to said I should have him neutered as he is just trying to find a mate and that's why he runs off. I have to admit all he wants to do is sniff other dogs wee. I went to the vet on my way home to book him in but it is too close to our holiday as I have to wait 10 days after the kennel cough vaccine he had today then the next appointment with the vet I want will be 3 days after that
smile_confused.gif
So I have all this time to wait and maybe change my mind again!! I feel sick thinking about it.

Also in the park, and I'm still mad thinking about it, there was a Westie who playfully got on top of Dylan as he just lay there belly up, just playfully telling him who was boss I think, Dylan didn't seem to mind. But as the dog walked off he had blood coming out of his bottom, quite a bit of blood and I thought for a minute it was a bitch heavily in season. Well it was a boy so something was clearly very wrong. I told the owner your dogs bleeding badly and to go to the vet and she just said, "Yes I just noticed that". If that had been my dog I'd have wrapped him in my coat so he didn't drip his germs everywhere and taken him straight to the vet. They casually strolled round the park. I'm worried Dylan will catch something from him now as they were so close.

Dylan is very subdued now after his kennel cough vaccine and on the way to the vet (before he met the Westie) he passed a little yellow poo again so I am quite worried all round.:(

Last edited:
Oh, Pauline, what a stressful time you are having! It must have been so scary to have Dylan run off like that.

:hug:

I know you've been struggling with the decision about whether to neuter Dylan or not. It's a personal decision, but for what it's worth, Lucky is neutered and I've never regretted it for a day.

I hope Dylan did not catch anything from that bleeding Westie and that his poo quickly turns back to normal. :flwr:

It is scary when they do that. when Monty was a pup, some men left my dad's gate open and off he went. I didn't think , at the time, that you shouldn't chase, though that is what your instinct tells you, so he kept on walking and I caught him when he sniffed some bushes.

I don't think he was after a bitch. He is just being a dog, using his keenest sense to explore his world.

Teddy's collar clip (the plastic part) once came undone whileI Iwas getting him out of the car, one evening, but luckily he came staright back to me (I had some treats, so perhaps it would be an idea to carry a few in your pocket; just incase).

Thanks for your replies Lani and Barbara, I am still a little shaken up to be honest. I did have treats Barbara and he nags for these at home but when we are out he wasn't bothered. He even spat some out half way through chewing. Chicken or sausage would have been better but I don't let him off lead usually so didn't see the need to carry these. I clearly need to practise recall for such an event and have good treats.

I am so sorry to hear this!

It is one of my biggest fears to have little Kipling run away or dart off. I am paranoid all the time.

I hope your day gets better and your little Dylan is ok!

I'm so sorry to hear this Pauline, you've had a scary time :(

Try to do lots and lots of recall work at home with Dylan, and then gradually build up to doing it with distractions, such as other dogs a little way away - you can do this on a long line so there's no danger.

It sounds like it might be sensible to have Dylan neutered anyway, there's no reason for you to keep him entire and he should be easier to manage. There are also the health benefits to think of.

That's terribly sad about the Westie - I hope they did take him to the vets. Keep a careful watch on Dylan as he will be a bit low anyway following his vaccination.

Oh the joys of dog ownership.Thankfully you caught him so quickly.I remember when Daisy did that a few months ago when she followed my husband when he went for a walk in the woods. Happily she came home unscathed.
Neutering Dylan is a good idea,it's not as bad as you think.I had a rescue belonging to Karlin(Max) and I was dreading having him done but he just had two dissolving stitches and was a bit wobbly on his feet for a few hours after but was bouncing around the back garden the following morning.
Of course it's no guarantee that he won't run away again,but might reduce the risks.The scents of a market area were probably stimulus enough to tempt him away.
Sins

Sorry about all that -- I know just how you feel, the panicked feeling, the sheer terror of him being hit by a car. Daisy's got out a few times and it is just the most horrible feeling. The only good thing with her is that we know she will run to the nearest dog or strange human (in that order), so we can predict where she will run and stop. But if a car went by first, I think she would run right under the wheels, so that is always the image that comes to my mind when she runs away. It is horrible.

Thank goodness it all turned out OK in the end. I doubt the blood exposure issue is significant healthwise although it is very gross and scary for the other dog!

Good luck with your decision.

I'm glad Dylan is ok :lotsaluv: That must have been very scary...that's my worst fear, too...Good luck making the decision whether or not to neuter him; neither of mine have been done, and Miles is also obsessed with smelling other dogs wees when we go for walks :rolleyes: Truman isn't old enough yet, but I'm sure his time will come. I'm just glad Dylan is safe!

Oh Pauline!

I have been thinking of you today and now I know why!!

What an experience all round, if you feel there is a need to neuter then do it! Can only agree with Nicki in her advice Re Recall work, and I hope that the poor Westie's Mum really did get it to a vet, that does NOT sound good at all!! What a bummer of a day eh? :hug: :hug: :flwr: you know you can :blabla: if you need to ok?

Oh my goodness! What a day. You must have been so worried when he got loose. I hope the Westie's Mum got him to the vet, that doesn't sound at all good.

Perhaps some dried treats (so they don't go off) and in a container, so you can rattle it to get his attention.. Also, do onlead recalls for treats. My springers used to go deaf , when in woodland, so i used to do frequen t recalls just to keep in touch. Sometimes they got a treat and sometimes just praise so it kept them guessing.

Oh you are all so kind replying, it makes me feel better. I am SO carefully with Dylan, I don't let him off lead anymore because I know he could run off as he is entire.

His recall was perfect from long distances and everyone would laugh at how fast he would run back to me! But twice he gave me a fright running off so I decided it was safer to keep him on a long lead, this lead must be at least 25 foot long so he gets a good run. Because of this, his only chance for recall in a long while has been when he slips upstairs and I call him down! I will practise loads of recall.

I'm not sure I'll trust him again though. My nerves can't handle it. :eek:

Here's a pic of his horse lead, those who ride horses might know what it's called.

2419659486_ce389db9aa.jpg

Last edited:
Pleased to hear you got him back safely Pauline gives you such a fright, Ive got the same problem if l let Sophie my shih tzu off the lead, twice in the park in the last few weeks Ive had to chase after her so now Ive got to keep her on the lead, Ive never ever had this problem with Cody she stays right by me

Gosh Pauline how scary!! So glad everything is okay though. This is really a prime example of why a dog's recall isn't always trustworthy and can't be relied on (I know this was an escape not a case of letting him off leash intentionally ;)) and why it's so risky to let them off leash. I'm just so relieved you got him home safe and sound. As far as the neutering....Jake says "no biggee!!":)

Running Off

Just a quick response, we brought our pup Sam to training and they trained us how to call Sam back to us if he runs off. It works very well. He got off his lead once on the road and we called him back and he came straight back to us. You have to keep doing it so he will remember to come back when you say "Sam come here" and he gets a treat when he does so he loves it. If anyone wants a copy of this part of the notes I can dig it out and send it to you.

I bring Sam to a big park near us and when there is no one around I let him off the lead and dont worry. Once he doesnt see kids he is fine!!

when my charlies lead snapped while she was lunging at a duck she was so shocked that she came back to ask me to put her lead back on , once she was on lead she went back to lunging at the ducks ,lol

If my dogs wont get come back for their lead I either walk the opposite direction or kneel down with my back to them & pretend to be looking at something .
My boy was quite naughty for not wanting his lead on at the end of a walk . but chasing after him only made him run away more

He's not well at the moment so he comes straight to me to have his lead put on as he is too tired to run off

Crackly cellophane is a good lure. It works every time when Teddy sneaks upstairs and I want him down immediately. He still hasn't sussed that cellophane doesn't mean food-but it just could...

Wow, Barbara, that's a good one! I think opening the freezer door might work with Daisy under the same principle. We keep her ultra special liver treats in there and whenever I open the door and especially if she hears the plastic bag come out, she's right there!

Back