• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

crate training

scoobie

I have recently returned to using a crate for my sasha and i have to say she loves it and seems a lot more content and happier in it than her old bed. i am really glad i changed over. my problem is that when people call around i feel that they look at the crate as if it is cruel and this makes me feel bad. i hardly ever close the door on the crate during the day so she moves freely in and out except if im going out for a bit but i do close it at night when im going to bed. does anyone else get bad vibes off people when they see the crate ?

I would tell them that it's just like putting a human baby in a playpen. It's not usually a big deal for dogs to get used to being in a crate since they would live in a den if they were in the wild. I think they actually like to have a little place to call their own.:) I know the crate keeps him safe when I'm not able to look after him, and it also keeps the things in my home in one piece.:rolleyes:

rubys mom

ive had a few looks:rolleyes: but ruby loves her crate :luv:i never lock the door now she uses it when she wants her sleep time ive moved it once to give us room but she was moping :eek:about all day so i put it back and she was overjoyed :pso i dont care anymore after all shes the one that matters an she loves it:rah:

We crate all but 3 of our dogs when we go somewhere and at night. They all love their crates because we also feed them in their crates (avoids WWIII!) and give them a treat at night when they go to bed. What I would do is just tell people that she loves her crate and that it's like a den to her; much like a person who goes to a single room in their house (bedroom), but on a smaller scale. If they still take offense to it, my response would be "Oh well". Not everyone can agree on everything and people should respect other people's ideas even if they don't agree.

You could refer to it as his bedroom,thats his time out space when he wants to relax and chill,make it out to be like a relaxation therapy cage and they should have no bother with it:)

If you explain to people that a dog in the wild will choose a cave like environment to sleep in given a chance, they may start to understand that a crate is a nice protective, snuggly place for a dog to sleep in.

You might also like to point out to them that if everybody crate trained their dogs, the dog-pounds would probably soon be out of business because many dogs end up on pounds because their owners think they are destructive or uncontrollable..... when the truth is that the owner was probably clueless :D

Good point Caraline.

You could also put a nice blanket over the crate or perhaps swop to something like a Varikennel {the plastic crates} if you are that bothered about it - I guess some people are funny over it becase the metal ones look like a cage.

Mine love their crates...people who don't understand just don't udnerstand dogs...

Back