• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cleo You Silly Moo!

Cleo's Person

Last evening when we got home from work, Cleo was full of frenetic energy. In an effort to dispel it, we took her for a walk. We walked towards my mam's house. I need to stress that Cleo know this route very very well, and walks it a few times a week.

Last evening, she was playing chase with every car on the road. It wasn't particularly busy. But as we walked down the road, anythime she heard a car, she would look around and as it got near would run along side it for 2/3 seconds until she came to the end of her lease and had to stop. Well, we were almost at my mams house and Cleo was sizing up to another car. She took off, looking behind her and ran right into an electricity pole! It was made of wood, and she had barely started to trot, so didn't hurt herself at all.

However, you know when you trip up when you're walking down the road and to cover your mistake you break into a bit of a run as if this is what you intended to do all the time? Well this is sort of what she did - she kept running around the pole as if that is what she intended to do. Mark and I fell about the place laughing at her! She was so funny. Once she realised we had noticed what she did, she turned around and barked at the pole, as if to chastise it for getting in her way! It was very funny.

Last edited:
:rotfl:

Many years back I had a puppy called Caspar, in my parents lounge there was a stone otter that he was terrified of, he was also very much in awe of my parents elderly Cavalier "Charlie", one day he wanted to get from one side of the room to the other, this meant passing not only Charlie on one side, but the otter on the other! It was hilarious! He slunk along on his belly, nervously looking one way then the other, then when he was level with them both he shot into a gallop like a bullet from a gun! :lol:

Once he was sure he was past both of these hugely frightening "monsters" he turned around and growled at the otter and Charlie in turn! :lol: :lol:

That is funny!

I would add, though, that this fixation on cars is something you should address right away. Daisy started doing that kind of thing last summer and it has taken me all winter to fix it. So if I were you, I would try to break her of that habit asap before it becomes a habit at all. Daisy would jump toward every car that passed on our walks, wanting to chase it. It was really dangerous ON leash and it would be fatal off leash as soon as the first car passed by.

She has finally dropped the habit, after a lot of "Sit, Watch me" with treats for several months every single time a car passed by. Now 95% of the time, she just ignores the cars. I wish I would have known how to address it the first time she ever did it so that we could have avoided the scary situations and the tedious training required to break the habit once it was ingrained.

Not meaning to be preachy, but when I read your post, it was so hauntingly familiar to how Daisy first started that scary habit last year. I'd like to save you the frustration if I could. I posted a thread about it last summer/Fall and asked for advice. If you search under Lunging at cars, you will probably find it.

Cathryn:
He slunk along on his belly, nervously looking one way then the other, then when he was level with them both he shot into a gallop like a bullet from a gun! :lol:

:rotfl: :rotfl: How funny!!!

Daisy's Mom
I would add, though, that this fixation on cars is something you should address right away. Daisy started doing that kind of thing last summer and it has taken me all winter to fix it. So if I were you, I would try to break her of that habit asap before it becomes a habit at all. Daisy would jump toward every car that passed on our walks, wanting to chase it. It was really dangerous ON leash and it would be fatal off leash as soon as the first car passed by.

Oh I soooo know what you mean. Usually Cleo is very diciplined when we walk, as I live in an urban area and from the get go I was worried about cars. Usually she walks on the inside of the path beside the walls - which is how she knows where all the drainpipes which don't work are so she can avoid them when its rainy - But at the moment, this particular road is undergoing some major reconstruction, and despite being almost 2 miles long is open only for one way trafffic. The cars were on the other side of the road to where we were walking and her leash was never long enough for her to get anywhere near them. As I said yesterday, she was really skittish, so we decided to let her run off a bit of her energy by covering more ground on the walk. You are right about the cars though it is important to be mindful of our doggies when out walking as they have next to no road sense. Thankfully most of the time Cleo just ignores the cars.

Last edited:
That's great. Maybe it's because they were coming toward her or something? I tried to think back about the first few times I noticed Daisy doing it. It really seems like one day she ignored them, and the next day she went nuts over them. I'm sure there were indications of her focusing on them that I just missed until it was too late.

We just got back from a walk and I'm happy to say that about 5 cars passed us and she only looked briefly at one of them -- yeahhh! ! That's a huge improvement over her previous jumping, lunging mania every time a car passed.

I think it's just cos she was all full of silly manic-like energy to be honest!

I'm so glad that Daisy is getting better with the cars! Yay woo her for ignoring the 5 ones you met tonight! :rah:

Back