• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

problem free vaccination

sins

Daisy got her vaccination booster this evening! Thankfully she didn't even feel the needle going in and there were no hysterics! I actually forgot to ask the vet not to inject her neck :( but all went well.
He gave me the name of a veterinary clinic in Cork City who can do MRI scans but would need to be booked well in advance.
I'll call them and see if they still offer the service and ask how much it costs,otherwise it's the veterinary college or a trip across the Irish sea.
Sins

Hi sins. I'm very interested about who does the MRI in Cork. Can you pm me the name of the clinic? It would be very good to know this kind of thing. Thanks in advance.

I'd be interested to know who does this in Cork -- I'd understood only UCD had an MRI machine -- but if they do do them you'd really want to know how good the machine is and also whether they know of Clare Rusbridge's document on head positions for SM MRIs as well. Quality really varies and head position and familiarity with MRIing for this condition is important. (y)

It should cost considerably less to go to Geoff Skerritt at Chestergates in the UK -- I don't think any place in Ireland does an MRI for under €1000. It's a third that cost (or less) at any of the UK clinics that do scans at a discount for SM.

Tanya(Cleo's person) is calling them to confirm that they do the scans.It's actually an animal hospital and they certainly do untrasound and have advanced x ray facilities. Cleo the cav goes there!
Once we've actually confirmed that they do it we'll be happy to say who they are.
I met the regular vet last night and he was very knowledgable about SM.
The cost is always going to be significant.I can see myself doing the scan in Ireland.I suspect by the time I add up the sterling exchange rate,the ferry across,petrol expenses and possibly accommodation,not to mention time off work and finding a volunteer to care for my kids,if the difference is less than €200 euro then I won't travel.
If I flew I'd probably end up losing Daisy in heathrow terminal 5 baggage!!:p
Chances are it'll be UCD and the vet college.I've read the Rusbridge papers on positioning of Dog during scans.I'm well used to telling radiographers etc.. how to position for x rays/scans as I have scoliosis and SM myself .Making sure the dog doesn't have to have medical procedures repeated will be vital,especially if paying off insurance.
Sins

Right, I'm back at the vets (the one we're discussing) tomorrow with Cleo. Here are the questions I'm going to ask:
  • Do they have an MRI machine - cost of MRI for Cav to check for SM
  • How much do they know about SM
  • Have they read Clare Rusbridge's document on head position for SM MRIs
Is there anything else I need to ask or should mention?

I guess can they do a cardiologist cert for Mvd free cavaliers and eye certificates from their visiting opthalmologist?
I looked at their website and was very very impressed.However,they make no mention of having an MRI scanner.
Sins

Sins I sent you a PM.

OK they don't have a MRI machine, but are considering getting one. They had numbers for referrals to the consultant opthmologist and the radiologist who does lots of work on cardio stuff.

On the down side it turn out that Cleo has a luxuating patella (sp?) :(. In her hind right leg. Apparently, it is quite bad as it pops in and out very easily but doesn't seem to cause pain which is a good thing. I'll have to keep a close eye on it and if it gets worse or her limp, which happens maybe one a month for a minute or two at the moment, gets any worse, then she'll have to go in to get it checked and possible get surgery. :(

She also had the once over after her bash into the ESB pole the other night, and is absolutely fine - thank goodness. I thought as much and was happy to wait until the appointment today as she seemed fine, but I glad to have it confirmed by someone who would know. :)

So all told an interesting visit to the vet.

Thanks Tanya,
That was very helpful.Can you pm me the numbers of the consultant cardiologists and opthalmologists?I'm glad Cleo has had no ill effects from her bump with the pole.
Thanks
Sins

cork vet

hi cleo shan here i also live in cork and was wondering if you would pm me the details of the vet who does the scans in cork as i would also be interested in knowing this:)

Back