• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Introducing dog to dog

vicarrieous

Can anyone give some good tips a ways to introduce your dog to another? I am probably overly paranoid here but my little Kip (4 1/2 months old) loves people and dogs and whenever we are out and about he is ready to greet them. I sometimes get worried if the other dog is much bigger or isnt ready for all of the puppy energy. What are some ways to introduce the dogs properly so both dogs feel safe and calm?

This weekend we are going to visit a friend who has a new puppy (10weeks I think) and I am worry Kip will terrorize the little pup with all his energy and readiness to play. I hear the other pup is outgoing too but I dont want either of them to get hurt or be mean.

Thanks!

From one paranoid mommy to another!

Hi Carrie, I'm no expert, but I'm sure there are others on this site who will have good advice for you. I just wanted to say, at 10 weeks old you may find that it's your friends pup who gets the better of Kip! pups are soooo exhausting :) but as the age difference isn't that great I think they will have a ball together! :D. Have fun this weekend & don't worry, if you feel stressed then so will Kip, he'll probably have a new buddy at the end of it! Judy x

Given the ages of the doggies I don't think you are likely to have any problems. They are both probably going to be very enthusiastic about playing with each other. With adult dogs you need to be careful incase one dog feel territorial, but I can't see that as being a problem at this stage.

Maybe you could start by each human holding their puppies and letting the puppies sniff noses. Then put them on the ground together, still holding them for a moment and if little tails are going 9 to the dozen as I suspect they will be, just let them go. Just keep an eye on them at all times to make sure nobody gets too rough.

Back