Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geordie SM Update

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Geordie SM Update

We took Geordie to the vet today for his first SM prescription. We've been giving him Prilosec (Omeprazole), but he has been scratching lately. Since his digestive system is on the delicate side, we were a bit worried that an NSAID like Metacam or Rimadyl would cause problems. Fortunately our vet feels the same way, so she has prescribed Gabapentin. I'm so thankful we have drugs like this to make our dogs more comfortable. At the same time, I'm getting teary eyed, knowing that Geordie is getting worse. We have to get our courage up to face this journey. Please give your cavaliers an extra hug today, and send a positive thought our way!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Cathy - we are sending big huge four pawed hugs to you. I'm glad you have someone you are comfortable working with and hope this new med will bring Geordie some relief.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very sorry to hear that. Have you looked into the cost of the Gabanpentin? Dr. Abramson prescribed it for Madison but left it up to us to decide. She indicated that it was very expensive and that we may be able to find it somewhere reasonably.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes this must be hard for you alright.
    BK

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We're going to call around. Some CavTalk members have found very reasonable prices for the 100mg capsules.

Our cavalier Charlie (now at the bridge) had to take 80mg Gabapentin because he had side effects (ataxia) and he was also taking Amantadine. The compounding pharmacy prices were astronomical.

We asked our vet for 100mg dosage so we can go to a regular pharmacy. As long as Geordie can handle 100mg, that's what we'll go with. I'll let you know what price we get.
    Cathy Moon

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cathy, I'm so sorry to hear about Geordie. Hope the new meds help.
    Tanya, Mark and Cleo (Blen Girl Born 5th May 2006)

Post Thanks / Like

Cathy,

I'm so sorry to hear your news after all your family has been through.

You should have no problem finding 100mg gabapentin at reasonable rates. We found to local mom and pop pharmacy to be much cheaper than the chains, so it really does pay to shop around.
    Molly and Cooper's mom, Bev

Post Thanks / Like

Lot's of good vibes being sent Geordie's way and hugs too, hope his new meds help him feel better soon
    Elaine and Cody

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's distressing and frustrating when you see new signs that weren't there before. Sometimes I think/hope it isn't so much that a dog is progressing to any great extent, as that their system grows to tolerate the drug they are currently on. Prilosec can help relieve the CSF pressure but doesn't actually address any pain or discomfort -- which the gabapentin will do. So hopefully he will quickly be a lot more comfortable.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Molly's mom View Post
    You should have no problem finding 100mg gabapentin at reasonable rates. We found to local mom and pop pharmacy to be much cheaper than the chains, so it really does pay to shop around.
    Bev, I told Colin about the great price you're getting, and he's wondering if they mail order. Could you PM some contact info for the store to me? - But don't do it if you think they'll raise your price! Maybe you could just ask them if they mail order?
    Cathy Moon