Thread: Phantom poos!

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Phantom poos!

Hi,an issue that has been niggling at me for ages!
    Titch,within the first 5 mins of a walk will find an appropriate spot and poo
    Cool but then another 5 mins into the journey will hovver,lift his tail and go through all the motions again but nothing will appear(I am trying to phrase this oh-so-politely lol)

It leaves me feeling like I should get out the doggy bags and go through all the rigmarole of clearing up fresh air lol cos I feel guilty walking away from the space where Titch has done an invisible poo!

In linked fields he seems healthy i.e. he seems happy with the food and treats that hes on........is this phantom pooing normal or should I be looking into firming up his diet a little more?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TriTitch View Post
    It leaves me feeling like I should get out the doggy bags and go through all the rigmarole of clearing up fresh air lol cos I feel guilty walking away from the space where Titch has done an invisible poo!
    I can really understand your desier to "be seen to be doing the right thing", even if there is nothing there. When my guys do a poo in public, I always make sure that the plastic bag is really obvious in my hand.... that way people know right away that you are a good citizen. Maybe just make a show of the bag even if you don't need to use it.

If your dog looks to be trying to poop a bit more almost every time, I'd mention it to the vet. It is probably nothing to worry about, but I am just wondering if there might be something just inside the anus that is making him feel like he needs to do a bit more. My dogs do this occasionally, but I am just thinking that if it is a regular thing maybe worth checking.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps a little rough bran (oat or wheat), bought from a health shop/stall, ie not the processed breakfast cereal, would help. it will bulk out the stool, so perhaps make it easier to pass.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Pippin does this when his glands are full and need emptying....might be worth mentioning it to your vet.
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

How are his first stools?? Are they nicely formed, runny, watery, etc?

I have never had a "phantom pooping" incident except for when one of mine have been constipated or had the runs
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

Right thanks for the advice folks.
    Titch had his ....ahem .....manhood snipped on wednesday and have got a follow-up appointment tomorrow so shall ask a few more questions then.
    Ive asked about his anal glands before re: scooting across the floor in the mornings and the vet didnt seem to think it was a problem above average doggy behaviour but shall mention the phantom poos tomorrow and see what he says

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arasara View Post
    How are his first stools?? Are they nicely formed, runny, watery, etc?

I have never had a "phantom pooping" incident except for when one of mine have been constipated or had the runs
    Stools have always been a little on the soft side but I put that down to Titch being fed a 75% tinned food diet.....should I feed him a human cereal in the morning such as ready brek(as you do when theyre puppies) do you think?