Thread: Off to the vet to check the glands...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Off to the vet to check the glands...

I have been reading alot about gland problems in Cavaliers here on the boards. We have no evidence of any discharge, bleeding, infection or discomfort, but Dottie has been licking her "business end" and occasionally scooting the last few days once or twice a day. I can't feel anything swollen but I probably wouldn't know it if I felt it. So, off to the vet we go to have them checked and maybe expressed.

We have always had BIG dogs and I honestly never had any issues with glands. Will let you know what we find out at the vets. (Oh, I don't think it is parasites because she just had stools checked for that about a month ago, but to be safe, I will take in a stool sample also.)
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the vet said her glands were "moderately full" so he expressed them , and said there was no sign of infection or problem. YAY!
    Marianne

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yay!

Hopefully that will help the licking and scooting!
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear it!! Cavaliers do seem to be particularly prone to their anal glands filling rather quickly, a good preventative measure is a teaspoon of rough bran (readily available from most good health food shops) sprinkled over their feed!!

My M-I-L's cavalier had to have his anal glands removed due to this many years ago, he was incredibly sore and subdued for several days afterwards, had I known the "Bran Trick" maybe we could have prevented his op?
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cathryn, I will pick up some bran this week and give it a try. That is a wonderful suggestion and I appreciate it. Will let you know how it goes! (Or how she goes)
    Marianne