• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Off to the vet to check the glands...

hbmama

I have been reading alot about gland problems in Cavaliers here on the boards. We have no evidence of any discharge, bleeding, infection or discomfort, but Dottie has been licking her "business end" and occasionally scooting the last few days once or twice a day. I can't feel anything swollen but I probably wouldn't know it if I felt it. So, off to the vet we go to have them checked and maybe expressed.

We have always had BIG dogs and I honestly never had any issues with glands. Will let you know what we find out at the vets. (Oh, I don't think it is parasites because she just had stools checked for that about a month ago, but to be safe, I will take in a stool sample also.)

Well, the vet said her glands were "moderately full" so he expressed them :grnyuk: , and said there was no sign of infection or problem. YAY!

Glad to hear it!! Cavaliers do seem to be particularly prone to their anal glands filling rather quickly, a good preventative measure is a teaspoon of rough bran (readily available from most good health food shops) sprinkled over their feed!!

My M-I-L's cavalier had to have his anal glands removed due to this many years ago, he was incredibly sore and subdued for several days afterwards, had I known the "Bran Trick" maybe we could have prevented his op?

Cathryn, I will pick up some bran this week and give it a try. That is a wonderful suggestion and I appreciate it. Will let you know how it goes! (Or how she goes:rolleyes:)

Back