• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Gabapentin prices

Cathy Moon

I've finally finished calling around for Gabapentin prices, and it is really surprising how much the price varies from one retail chain to another.

The best price we came up with is $4.44 for 100 capsules of 100mg Gabapentin at Giant Eagle grocery store pharmacy here in northeastern Ohio! :) They have just extended their list of 90 day generic drugs for $4.00. I rushed out to fill Geordie's prescription today!!!:D

The highest price I was quoted was $62.99 for the same dosage and quantity.:eek:

Thanks for the advice to call around and check prices. I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to keep a list of geographical locations and best prices for our dogs' drugs.

I also noticed at Sam's Club the generic Omeprazole costs $18.47 for 42 tablets. This generic version of Prilosec has just recently become available around here.

Wow Cathy that is CHEAP. I only have the higher price version available but am going to ask my vets to write a larger prescription then try buying online in the UK or US.

That is a good price.

This may be a stupid question but do dogs get a different version of gabapentin to humans? I know it's also called neurontin. I only ask because I take neurontin and I wish my prescription was that cheap!

Do it quickly and use Petmedics, if you can find a site whose prices beat theirs.(they will beat any price by 5% , but postage must be taken into account, as they don't charge for this-UK anyway) This is becoming more and more difficu;lt as drug prices are rising, almost weekly. My vet reckons this is because of oil price rises and the fact that many drugs depend on oil.

Having searched, last week, for Teddy's Atopica, I found a price difference range of several pounds on a ,starting from £14 something ,pack.

Wow Cathy that is CHEAP. I only have the higher price version available but am going to ask my vets to write a larger prescription then try buying online in the UK or US.

That's a great find, Cathy! There is a Giant Eagle in Frederick, MD, which is about 50 miles from me. I called around to a lot of the national pharmacies today and this is what I found out. Not sure if the price will vary by geography.

100mg, 120 capsules (this is a 30 day supply for Spence :))

Safeway- $82.99
Rite Aid/Eckerd- $73
CVS- $58.59
Target- $57.49
Walmart- $52.72
Costco- $12.66

I think I'm going to get our next batch at Costco. I had been paying $54 for two months worth directly from our vet but Costco will be about half that price. Thank you again, Cathy. Without your post I would never have thought to shop around. :rah:

That is a good price.

This may be a stupid question but do dogs get a different version of gabapentin to humans? I know it's also called neurontin. I only ask because I take neurontin and I wish my prescription was that cheap!
Dogs get the same version of Gabapentin that humans do. Gabapentin is the generic version of Neurontin.

Some dogs need less than 100mg dose (which is the smallest human dose in capsule form), so then you have to go to a compounding pharmacist to have the capsules made up by hand. Don't ever use the liquid form of Gabapentin for a dog, as it contains Xylitol, which is toxic to dogs.

Back