• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

tear duct blocked maybe...

emmawright

hello,

i had to take Lottie to the vet today as her left eye has been more watery and looking a bit sore. She has been blinking funny too. the vet put in some stuff to make her eye go green and he said that within 2 minutes it should come out of her nose, we waited ages and it never came out of her nose, so he said either her tear duct is blocked or the tear duct itself is too small, and might need to be enlarged.

i have some eye drops to try for the next 10 days, then she has to go back.

anyone had this before? Poor Lottie has been through a lot recently, getting spay, then having to be sedated for her anal glands to be cleaned out and emptied... now this!

Ruby had the same problem, only it was both of her eyes. Out of the 4 little openings of the tear ducts, 1 was okay, 2 were underdeveloped, and 1 was nonexistent. They put her to sleep and used little catheters to enlarge 2 of them and made a surgical opening for the one that didn't exist. They said they flushed out so much mucous and junk in her ducts, and she's looking much better. She was pawing at her eye so much, so we were just really afraid that she would injure her eye. She did great with it, and was probably on the same drops as yours before and after the procedure. I thought she'd be groggy like she was after her spay, but she was completely normal and didn't miss a beat. She still gets the runny eyes like any Cavalier, but they're much better than they were. Good luck with yours!!!

Hi, I have a question..why did she have to be sedated to empty her anal glands? I took my boys to the vet today and he just put some cotton in his hands and just emptied them that way...should he have sedated them? Sorry for asking questions in your post but I was just curious...I hope Lottie feels better soon :)

lottie had to be sedated to do her anal glands because the vet tried on 2 different occasions to empty them and she couldn't as lottie was in A LOT of pain so she said it would be better to sedate her. this is the first time they had to sedate, with bluebell and when i had daisy they did it without sedation. but she is ok now, although i have to put All Bran into her evening meal now!

Thanks for the advice on the tear ducts, glad your cavalier recovered after the op quickly, that is reasuring , just incase lottie has to have it done too.

Aw, poor little Lottie, she's such a trooper. Emma, I'm so sorry to read that Lottie is having troubles. Hopefully the drops will help her and everything will be fine in a few days. Let us know.

Back