• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sleeping Together...

vicarrieous

Are there any negative repercussions of letting two dogs sleep in the same crate together? We recently got a new puppy (Albie) and he is desparately trying to be by our other dog Kip at night. They are both males and we got our BEST nights sleep last night when we gave in and let them sleep together.

As some of you might recall, we were having a heck of a time with Kip at night with multiple times up in the middle of the night to go out. (we checked with our vet and he is healthy with no UTIs) Since we got Albie he is sleeping through the whole night as long as he can see/be by him.

Will letting this continue cause any problems or create any training issues. Since we have had Albie, Kip seems to be more at ease in his crate even to the point where he will take toys and climb on in without our prompting.

Before we continue this process I wanted to get all of your guys/girls input since I value it very much!

I personally do, I buy crates that are atleast twice the size they need to be for this reason! Each dog has it's own crate that I use to seperate them at meal times, but at night I find most of my dogs are happier of they have a friend to snuggle with!! I also find when I bring a new puppy into my home, they're very seldom happy in a crate by themselves - They're use to the constant companionship of mom and their litter mates, and are almost always happiest when in with another dog.

On the flip side - Many argue this is going to make your dogs' bond more to each other and pay less attention to you, so this is something you'll definatly want to think carefully about - I haven't found that true in my dogs' cases, but every dog is different :)

Two of mine share a crate, Abigail and Gavin, while Cody has one to herself. I keep meaning to remove the end doors on each crate so that they can all pile up together if they want to, which is how they spend most of their days and evenings anyway:)

Gus and Pippin sleep together in one basket..DJ has his own beside them but will lie with them on the sofa or bed. Pippin and Gus are close but both of them will push and shove to sit with me too! As a puppy Pippin cried a lot the first couple of nights but one night he went in with Gus and wouldn't come out so we left him and he slept all night ,so he's been there ever since!

lucky you!

wow!! i am so glad your older dog is so friendly with your puppy...my 3 year old doesn't even want to be in the same room as the puppy. and the puppy is constantly trying to get the 3 years old's ear and tail... the puppy has been home for 3 month now...and they still dont snuggle as i hoped :mad:

I have 9 cavaliers and they all sleep toghether. Even as pups they were sleeping in with all the others by 10 weeks and Ive never had any problems, those who didnt like the pups attention, moved away, but in the end they all got on and still do. Mine aren't crated but sleep altogether in my large utility room. The more the merrier !!!:)

All of my dogs have always slept together. In the old days when we had 7 Boxers & 7 crates, they'd all pile into the one crate. I kid you not! :) They looked like a can of worms... door always open of course.

But yes, provided both dogs are happy to be together, you can sleep them together in the one crate.

Back