• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Got Insurance

Rosewoodsteel

After reading about all of the health problems that our little Cavs can face, I decided to get a health insurance policy for our guy, just in case it is ever needed.
-Policy information arrived today.
It's not cheap, but it gives us piece of mind that Charlie will be taken care of in the event of an illness or injury.
When I first checked into insurance, the carriers I looked at had exemptions for hereditary conditions (which kind of defeated the whole purpose of insurance, imo). We decided on PetPlan, because this didn't seem to be an issue with them (I still need to read the policy details/small print to confirm).
Anyway, we are happy that our guy is covered and want to thank everyone for pointing us in PetPlan's direction.
:paw:

Last edited:
Just made me think, we really should take insurance out too. Have never needed to previously as they were all insured on mums policy!! Better get looking Monday and sort something out, Thanks :D (Will try petplan first too :) )

I have petplan too. Haven't had to use it (thank goodness), but it gives me such peace of mind knowing I can take care of my cavalier baby if I need too...... judy and dixie

We also have Petplan, based on what I have read here on the boards. Haven't had to use it yet, but wanted it in place in case something happened or developed down the line.

If anyone is thinking about getting insurance they should probably do it sooner than later. I have heard that if you take your dog in for scratching, or behavior out of the ordinary, that this can be a basis to deny SM treatment down the line even if it may have been allergy related. Not sure if this applies to Petplan. I too need to read the fine print. Don't know if symptoms recorded with no firm diagnosis actually constitutes pre-existing illness or not. Something to think about, as most of us visit the vet for little things, just to make sure everything is okay.

We also have Petplan, based on what I have read here on the boards. Haven't had to use it yet, but wanted it in place in case something happened or developed down the line.

If anyone is thinking about getting insurance they should probably do it sooner than later. I have heard that if you take your dog in for scratching, or behavior out of the ordinary, that this can be a basis to deny SM treatment down the line even if it may have been allergy related. Not sure if this applies to Petplan. I too need to read the fine print. Don't know if symptoms recorded with no firm diagnosis actually constitutes pre-existing illness or not. Something to think about, as most of us visit the vet for little things, just to make sure everything is okay.

The way I read the coverage, in the event of an claim, PetPlan can request medical records from your Vet. (They required Vet information in the initial paperwork that I filled out.)
Hbmama has some very good advice. It's better to get the insurance early, not later.

Yes, they do request your pet's vet's name, so that they can contact them and get your dog's records. So, it is a very good idea to get the insurance before there are any problems. judy

[quot
Ie=ruby2;263089]i wonder do they have petplan in ireland?[/quote]

I googled Petplan Ireland and saw a couple of sites.

Hi
I am with Petpals who are identical to Petplan ,they both seem to offer by far the best all round cover though they are the dearest ,but as the saying goes Theres no such thing as a free lunch or You only get what you pay for. I think when i covered my three last Sept ,they are all still young and have had no reason yet for a vet visit apart from jabs and anal cleaning and for Poppy and Daisy to be spayed ,when i phoned both Petpals and Petplan the formers call centre was UK based while Petplan i think sounded like an Indian call centre , i am no way biased but i thought that when the time comes when i do need them i want somebody to talk to that i can freely converse with as on other occasions ie O2 trouble their Indian call centres leave a lot to be desired plus i would like employment here not elswhere so those multi national companies can cost cut further and get even fatter profits. :)

Back