• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The Best Diet for Cavaliers

alcarter06

I am wondering what other Cavalier pet owners are feeding their little kids at meal times. I am currently feeding Science Diet Lamb and Rice, but I would like to switch over a dry food that does not contain corn. I have been studying up on holistic foods as well, but am wondering if anyone else has found a particular type/brand that seems to work best with Cavaliers digestive tract. Rupert is my first Cavalier, and I would like to start feeding him the best suited diet while he is still a puppy.

I don't think cavaliers have much difference from any other breed in their digestive tract -- the majority of all dogs have no problems eating a wide variety of foods and grains are absolutely fine unless you have a dog with a grain sensitivity (please note though that researchers have shown grain allergies are not the main problem for most dogs, despite the stuff that gets said on the internet!!). There's info on allergies on the Library section. Dogs differ more by individual than by breed. NB that many people pick a kibble to get rid of grain then feed grains all the time anyway by offering dog biscuits, bread, and other bits of people food! :lol:

There are lots of recent threads on diet recommendations so you might find plenty of perspectives by just scrolling through a few ages of this section, or try the search facility. That will probably give you wider range of views that what you will get as the response to a single thread. (y)

If you like holistic kibbles there are tons on the market at the moment! :) I'd pick something that has ingredients you like and see whether it suits your dog. Hills isn't a great food generally.

Ive just started using Naturediet on my CKCS Sparky, - my 10 year old Jack Russell has been on it for years!

It's not a dry food, but it is holistic. It's full of goodness & you can see whats in it like the rice & carrots (& potato in the fish variety).

Sparky has had issues with feeding since I got him which I thought could be an allergy but seems to be much better on this food with no chemicals or rubbish in it.

- this is just my opinion though!:) (& Ive only been a Cavy owner for 4 weeks!!)

I had some eating issues when I first got my puppy. The breeder had him on Lamb/Rice which he wouldn't eat for me, so I switched him to Innova Chicken/Rice and he loved it but I think it was too rich for him because he had really soft stools. For the past month or so he has been eating Cannidae Chicken, and he LOVES it, and his stools are normal. :rah: So that is what we are going to stick with. It is also good for all stages of life, so I don't have to switch again as he gets older.

A Cavalier's diet requirements are the same as all dogs: high quality protein, fats (and fatty acids), and little to no carbs. Winston started on Innova puppy when I first got him, then we switched to a grain-free kibble + grain-free canned diet. When he was around 7 months old I finally decided to give raw a try...there's no looking back! It's not for everyone, but it works amazing for us (a 1.5yr old tri boy and his 11 yr old German Shepherd sister.) Clean teeth, soft shiny coat, amazing energy level, solid muscle body, and tiny little poops to pick up!

Like I said, not everyone is comfortable feeding raw, but I know there are a few other cav owners on this board who swear by it. At the least I would recommend a grain-free kibble. Good luck with your choice!

There are so many great quality foods to choose from. We have a great shop we go to. The employees are well-educated and the shop carries some really great foods. Whenever I need an opinion about a food or supplement I can always count on them to give me some great guidance. Maybe you can find a small shop with a well-educated staff near you.

I am feeding Primal frozen complete raw food. My guys love it and are doing great on it. But there are so many great kibbles available.

I feed Haley Solid Gold Puppy which she has been fine on but very gassy & large stools. I finally found a supplier of Innova Evo and she will try it next week. Because of potential health issues with this breed and the info available on how to choose an appropriate food for your pet, I have become an educated consumer careful to pick out the very best that I can find.

Back