Thread: Prostate Problem In Dog That Can't Be Neutered

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prostate Problem In Dog That Can't Be Neutered

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions.

Cailean has an enlarged prostate, which was giving him pain last week. He is also late-stage MVD with a 5-6 murmur.

Unfortunately, Cailean is entire and cannot be neutered now because of his heart condition.

He had an injection to hopefully reduce the size of his prostate, + tablets etc. Now he is back to wagging his tail, so presumably not in pain, BUT apart from that he is no better.

ie his poo's are still 'squashed' and loose in appearance.

He is back at the vet later, but I'm concerned as to what they can try next. I'm worried that Cailean may have blocked up poo inside him that can't get past because of his enlarged prostate gland.

Anyone with any advice - thx.

Fran x
    Proud member of The Spaniel Trust - putting the trust back into spaniels.
    A Charity registered in Scotland SC038987

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you are going through this, I don't have any experience of this but wanted to offer a Let us know how it goes at the vets, it is something I have thought about having an entire boy myself.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Was is Tardak that he was given? It can take some time to work so I have heard and also they can give it more than once. Give him an extra hug please
    Norma
    Gabbie & Tilly

Post Thanks / Like

ok, it's misty here - Jennifer was logged in and I didn't realise!

Thanks both of you .

Yes it was Tardak and he's had another shot of it tonight, Norma. I'm encouraged by what you say - maybe there's hope.

I like to know where I stand so had a frank chat with the vet. Basically the following needs to happen:

(1) that the prostate is enlarged because of hormonal reasons, and

(2) if it is hormonal, that the injections work

Cailean is very happy atm, not suffering, so I've just got to pray it's what we hope it is.
    Last edited by jennifer; 28th April 2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: to explain something!
    jennifer
    Life with Cavs is like a roller coaster!
    Through the ups & downs, there beside each other always!

Post Thanks / Like

Potential dietary help for people with prostate cancer includes tomato products (the more refined the better, like tomato and pizza sauce) for the lycopene and vitamin E. I just read that dogs aren't supposed to have tomato though, so that might not help. I hope he feels better soon!