Thread: dog food

Post Thanks / Like

Default dog food

I know that there are a bunch of dog food threads and I'm sorry for adding another but I have a question. I'm feeding Science Diet and I was wondering if someone could tell me exactly what is wrong with the ingredient list or what ingredients aren't good for cavaliers? Here it is:

Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Flour, Ground Whole Grain Wheat, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Corn Gluten Meal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Beet Pulp, Soybean Oil, Chicken Liver Flavor, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Thanks so much!
    April
    April
    Doggie Mom to Bailey (Tri) and Dudley (Blenheim)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are several links that will help you understand which ingredients are good vs. bad in dog foods. I happen to like the information at Natura pet food, since they make some of the highest quality food available.

Lamb meal is a very good ingredient, but brewer's rice, rice flour, wheat, corn, animal fat (what kind of animal???), and dried beet pulp are not high quality ingredients. See the links below:
    http://www.naturapet.com/images/choosing_a_food.pdf

http://www.naturapet.com/tools/
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)