• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Update - post spay

bellacherie

Bella was spayed today (she is 25 weeks old tommorow).

I took her in and was crying through her admission.

The vet called around 2 and said she was doing really well.

We went at picked her up about 6pm tonight.

Since then she has had a little walk around, walked into the chairs (I blame the collar) and stretched (ouch!). I've now confined her to her sleeping quarters for the night and she is crying a bit.

What a day - if only they gave me something to knock me out for all the drama.

Ah..I felt the same when mine were in,hope she,and you are feeling better soon.

Warm thoughts and hugs from here. Bella will be fine very soon, even though they seem so small and vulnerable after a sedation and operation :hug:

This is why I tell my vet to use propoflo and isoflorine -- the puppers aren't nearly as drugged afterward and they don't get nauseous -- mine eat the night of the surgery. I told my vet to never use acepromazine, it crosses the blood/brain barrier.

If the collar is too hard for her to maneuver, I would put a baby onesie on her. I did that for Armani when he got fixed. Much easier for them to get around.

Aww bless...
She'll be right as rain soon enough. Holly recovered extrememly fast... a lot quicker than I had anticipated. She didnt have a collar, and was fine with nothing on her wound.... so it may be worth removing the collar, and using an 'all in one' baby grow or something. I made one myself haha. Bought a pack of 3 babygrows for £1.50 from Tesco, and cut a hole for Holly's tail... she only had it on for an hour mind.... :rolleyes: but what a funny hour it was.

Lots of hugs for Bella¬ :D

Thanks everyone.

Bella had a small dinner last night and actually had a fair amount of energy.

It's very early the next morning and I've just given her breakfast with a pain tab (and a cuddle).

I did have a trial of a baby onesie but it fell off her. I guess I could buy a small size or style. I really hate the collar but the vet said it allows the wound to air out and heal. He used internal dissolvable stitches and skin glue, so she shouldn't do too much damage.

Sending lots of hugs to Bella. Hope she's feeling better today. I didn't get a collar for Minnie when I had her done and she was fine. I did use a onesie for about a day and a half but then I left it off and she had no probs. Maybe you could take the collar off Bella for a while and see how she goes. :flwr::hug::hug:

It's now 24 hours since coming home.

She is doing quite well and actually jumping on the furniture (I stop breathing everytime).

She seems to really want to scratch at her belly tonight.

She is eating fine and did her first post op wee this afternoon.

Fingers crossed for the poo soon :xfngr:

That's good she's feeling better. :flwr:
Did the vet give post-op instructions regarding furniture? If I remember correctly, our vet told us no jumping on or off furniture for 1-2 weeks after a spay, just to be on the safe side. :flwr:

Yes, try to keep her from jumping for at least a week-- it can create swelling or pull a stitch (internal or external).

Oh, I know how that is. :(:hug: Does she have enough pain meds?
Just something to think about, maybe add a little fish oil to her food, and make sure she's drinking enough water (I have mixed plain strained lamb, beef, or chicken baby food into water to make drinking more tempting). Also, maybe feed her canned food for a bit. These things will soften her stool and make it less painful. Be brave too, she'll feel better each day. :flwr:

Oh, I know how that is. :(:hug: Does she have enough pain meds?
Just something to think about, maybe add a little fish oil to her food, and make sure she's drinking enough water (I have mixed plain strained lamb, beef, or chicken baby food into water to make drinking more tempting). Also, maybe feed her canned food for a bit. These things will soften her stool and make it less painful. Be brave too, she'll feel better each day. :flwr:

Thanks Cathy - I've been feeding her rice and chicken (her fave) mixed with kibble and water. She seems to be drinking a fair bit today. She just won't sit still - I thought she would a be a lot sleepier than this!

Back