• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Royal canin for cavaliers.

sins

I found some trial sachets of the Royal canin for cavaliers in our local maxi Zoo.The vet and the petstore where I usually buy the Arden Grange were sold out and they won't have it in stock until after the bank holiday so I figured a dog needs something other than Roast chicken to get her through the bank holiday weekend.
Usually she won't touch any other kibble but I put the bowl of RC in front of her and it was devoured in less than 30 seconds.
I must say it's expensive though,€18 for a 2.5 kg bag.
sins

Is there a special additive ? If so, it would be more economical to buy that separately.

I looked at senior foods for Monty, whose twelve and a half,, but could see little difference excepting for less protein (by percentage) and the addition of glucosamine. The percentage of protein varies from brand to brand and within brands and glucosamine, you can buy in tablet form and give a known amount when needed. (Monty doesn't have a joint problem).

I've got a feeling Whole Dog Journal did an article about 12 months ago suggesting that dog foods tailored to a specific breed were just an expensive gimick. I'll have to go dig through & see if I can find it. I know I read it somewhere.

I mean, a dog is a dog and other than perhaps different mixes for say hard working dogs, lactating bitches etc, I find it hard to imagine why different breeds would need different foods.

But then, I admit I am rather suspicious of the whole pet-food industry, so perhaps my views are somewhat jaded. icon_nwunsure

I was told they are only doing it in 1.5 kg bags which is what I buy at the moment. It is expensive 12 euro a bag! It adds up when you're feeding three.

I've got a feeling Whole Dog Journal did an article about 12 months ago suggesting that dog foods tailored to a specific breed were just an expensive gimick. I'll have to go dig through & see if I can find it. I know I read it somewhere.

I mean, a dog is a dog and other than perhaps different mixes for say hard working dogs, lactating bitches etc, I find it hard to imagine why different breeds would need different foods.

But then, I admit I am rather suspicious of the whole pet-food industry, so perhaps my views are somewhat jaded. icon_nwunsure
While I agree it's an advertising gimick - I do agree with the philosophy behind some of the breed specific foods. Keep in mind that many breeds originated from different parts of the world, and will digest some protien sources better then others as that's how their ancestors where raised - That being said, however, most of our dogs today are so distant from the starts of their breed that ANY good, well balanaced dog food they'll thrive on - And I find with my cavalier, foods formulated for small/toy breed dogs tend to be to rich for her to handle - She's no where near as active as most toy breeds, and I just don't think most cavaliers have nearly as high as a caloric need as a more active toy breed - My cavalier does great on just over 1/2 what I feed my Italian Greyhounds, and she weighs just a little bit more then they do - But they are also alot more active then her, and also compete in agility, lure coursing, and other active sports, so they need alot more calories to maintain their weight then Amber. I also don't like how many fillers I see in Royal Canin - For as expensive as it is, I think you can get better food for your money.

I can't see that it has any special additive, the pack claims to have some heart formula but it pretty much has the same ingredients as most premium dogfoods,chondroitin and glucosamine for joint health etc...
It has nice small kibble bites,excellent for small dogs though...maize instead of wheat filler and her majesty still seems happy with it...
She's a bit of a fussy eater but I must say she loves it.
Sins

The protein level is different as well. The cost is pretty much the same as their regular food -- the breed RCs are generally the same price as the general foods. Large breed foods have really large kibbles.

The CKCS food is really new so I am sure they are trialing the market. I spoke to the rep at the national dog show here last March. She said for now the large bags are only available on their breeder programme. But I would imagine they will make it generally available if they confirm there's a market for the food.

RC's small breed foods are a lot higher in protein generally. They argue that small breeds have much higher metabolisms and need the higher protein levels.

...so do you think RC is a good food or not? I have switched to it as breeder recommended it.

As with all foods it is a matter of opinion.

I have fed RC for years as one of the main foods I use for both my cats and my dogs.

It is best to read as much as you can about nutrition and the pros and cons on different sides and find foods which go with what you think is right. There's a massive amount of choice and foods that fit all different angles and points on the spectrum of feeding philosophy and few topics get people more argumentative than what to feed a dog. :rolleyes::p

Back