Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Beware: Human medicines!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Darwen, Lancashire, England
    Posts
    2,828
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Beware: Human medicines!

    Last Tuesday Mr Oakey decided to eat grandads blood pressure tablet that unfortunatley got dropped on the floor.

    We made him eat grass in between calling the emergency vet....... No sicky...
    The vets contacted the poisons dept who advised us to get him to a vet. We got him to the vets... they couldn't induce vomiting as the tablets take only about 20 min to be disolved plus if they had induced vomiting they would have to have given him a sedative which may have reacted with the blood pressure tablet.

    So Oakley spent the day in the vets in the ops theatre so he could be monitored constantly on a drip to clear him out. My poor little man locked up in a crate - apparantely he was good as gold and suffered no ill effects.

    He went back the next day to have his blood pressure checked and all was good- the little greedy guts was okay

    Grandad has now been given strict instructions to take his tablets BEFORE the boys arrive
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    23,882
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    Oh that must have been scary!!

    You can use a hydrogen peroxide mix to force vomiting:

    http://www.expertvillage.com/video/2...-poisonous.htm

    There's a transcript at the bottom of the video with the measurements. Pharmacies usually will sell hydrogen peroxide.

    It's important that this be 3% hydrogen peroxide and NOT what is used for hair colouring! It is also a good idea to immediately call the vet for advice BEFORE doing this unless it is an absolute emergency -- you know the dog has swallowed poison, or close to 20 minutes has passed, etc.

    Also see: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-...ogs/page1.aspx

    Despite the label indicating that hydrogen peroxide is toxic, it is safe to give to dogs for this purpose. It is considered toxic since it induces vomiting and therefore does not stay in the body.

    The appropriate dose of hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. If you have an oral syringe, one teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml. Once given, walk your dog around or gently shake the stomach area to mix the peroxide with the stomach contents. Vomiting should occur within 15 to 20 minutes. If no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the three percent hydrogen peroxide once. If it is still not effective, your dog may need to be seen by a veterinarian for stronger vomiting medication.

    Once the hydrogen peroxide is given, it is important to watch your pet so that he does not re-ingest the substance. If there is concern about toxicity, collect and take a sample of the vomitus to your veterinarian.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Darwen, Lancashire, England
    Posts
    2,828
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    The vet advised us that some salt walter or mustard powder on the back of the tongue also induce vomiting -and they are things that you may have handy at home - as most people would not think to have hydrogen peroxide at home.

    The other point to note is that if you have to be careful to use hydrogen peroxide in case the item/substance that your dogs has ingested could cause a chemical reaction which would be horrid
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Huntington Beach, California
    Posts
    1,272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yikes!!! Thas is REALLY scary!! Glad Mr. Oakley is going to be okay. I am going to print the info that Karlin posted for future reference.
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southeastern Wisconsin
    Posts
    633
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Wow that would be scary.

    My mother in law's golden decided that jumping up on the counter and eating chocolate would be a good idea. She used the peroxide to get him to vomit. She said he ran around all happy and then threw up. He'd doing fine now.
    Mom to Maverick (3-18-07)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •