• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How to lose weight on c/d

-leah-

Hi everybody,

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation with Holly. We have been told by the vet that she needs to lose approx 1.5-2kg and that its going to be VERY difficult for her to lose weight because she has to eat c/d (19.6% fat) to prevent the reoccurance of struvites. I asked the vet could she have half c/d half veg but she said no as the veg would upset the acidity levels of her urine.

I have been researching and most veg are alkaline, however there are some which are acidic and alot of grains and beans are also acidic. I am thinking of going ahead and trying her with some acidic veg/beans/grains mixed with her c/d for about 4 weeks then I will weigh her and see if there is an improvement.

Just want to know if you guys think that is the right thing to do?

Thanks.

One of my girls, India, was having UTIs, crystals in her urine, and her urine pH was off. Our vet wanted to put her on a Hills prescription food, but I explained that we felt the ingredients this food are objectionable. Our vet helped us find an alternative, which was giving India vitamin C and feeding her a high protein food to make her urine more acidic. We fed her a canned Evo 95% beef (or turkey, chicken, etc.) This worked to change her pH.

There is also a prescription drug that will do the same thing.

Later we found that by having a groomer give India a 'hygiene cut' in her private areas prevented any further UTIs! And her pH is fine just being on a high protein diet.

Hi Cathy thanks for your reply. We have been told that Holly will need to eat c/d for the rest of her life, she was on s/d a couple of months ago for 6 weeks to help dissolve the crystals. I really I am not happy feeding her c/d but the vet said it was the only option. What does India eat now? do you still give her vitamin C??

I would continue to look at food like you have been.

Another way to lose weight is with lots of exercise. Daily or twice daily brisk walks starting with short distances and working up to longer distances will burn lots of calories for her. And the exercise will be good for both her and you in lots of other ways too.

If brisk walks are a problem for some reason, then just get creative. For example, one of the ways we exercise our dogs in the winter when its too cold to be out for a long period of time is to run them up and down the stairs inside the house or throw a ball in the house. And in the summer we stand on the deck and throw a ball from our back deck, out into the fenced yard.

Anyone else here have any ideas for exercise?

Thanks for the replies, exercise isn't the problem we go on a 2.5km river walk 2-3 times a week, a run on the beach on a sunday and 30 min brisk walks to nanas other days! thanks for suggestions though, I also adjust her food in accordance to exercise i.e: on the days we go for river walks she gets 150g on the days we go for shorter walks she gets 130-135g.

Hi Cathy thanks for your reply. We have been told that Holly will need to eat c/d for the rest of her life, she was on s/d a couple of months ago for 6 weeks to help dissolve the crystals. I really I am not happy feeding her c/d but the vet said it was the only option. What does India eat now? do you still give her vitamin C??
We don't have to give her vitamin C any longer. Currently we are feeding her Nature's Variety Raw Frozen Rabbit formula. We recently changed to this because the veterinary dermatologist felt India has an allergy that causes yeast in her ears.

Before the rabbit based diet, she was eating chicken based kibble, Nature's Variety Instinct, but the yeast returned after we had cleared it up with ear medication.

We found that as long as she remains UTI-free, her urine pH is within normal range and she has no crystals. We took her in for urinalysis many times to monitor it in the past, but she has been doing so well for the past 1-2 years that now we don't have her urine checked.

I'd be getting a second opinion. To me it seems very strange that there is only one food in the whole wide world that your dog can eat.... and presumably it is sold at your vet?

Having said that, if she really does have to loose weight on this food then there are only 2 things you can do:

1) Increase her exercise
2) Reduce the volume of her food

Ideally you probably need to do both.

Good luck. I think it is really tough if your dog can not be given low calorie foods to give her a feeling of fullness.

Holly is due her booster at the end of May so I will discuss it in depth with the vet then. If she insists that Holly stays on c/d, I will get a second opinion. Just heading out now for a long walk! Thanks again for all of your replies :)

.....Daily or twice daily brisk walks starting with short distances and working up to longer distances will burn lots of calories

When I take Charlie for a walk, he likes to stop and sniff (as well as do his business in many places). He is inside all day, so I indulge him in this since so much of a dog's world involves their sense of smell.

Any suggestions on how I can get him to do a brisk walk would be appreciated. :)

C/D is a prescription diet used to prevent urinary tract infections. As for brisk walking, I have been bringing Bailey and Holly on the same few routes for almost 3 years now so they know all of the smells!

I would get a second opinion too. Maybe someone who will be more willing to work with you on things your looking for (alternatives to the same food and working on weight loss).

Back