• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What type of crate for a new pup?

We had a cage crate for our Cocker Spaniel. What type of crate should we use for the new CKCS? A friend of ours has a Carin Terrier and they only use the "carry crate." Should we use a carry crate when in the house or should we have a stable metal crate in one room in the house?

i dont have a doggie yet but alot of the people here use metal crates at home and a carry crate for when in the car. good luck on whatever you decide!

We use the plastic Vari Kennel #200 with a cozy washable crate pad on its floor. Have three of them. One downstairs for those quick trips to the store where no dogs are allowed :(, one upstairs right next to our bed for night sleeping, and one secured in the back seat of our SUV for when she can go with us! :p

When we visit my sister or travel in hotels, we just pop the crate out of the car and into the home or hotel room. Guess it is actually her version of a mobile home! :D

Some here like the wire crates for training, so your puppy can see you, but our Cav seems more cozy and secure in the plastic ones. Whichever you choose, get your puppy used to them early on and you will find it is the best invention since chocolate cake!! (y)

We have a metal crate that we keep in the house so they can go in there and sleep, etc and a plastic Vari Kennel crate for travel in the car. It is very durable and has a handle on top so it's easier to carry.

Hi
We have metal crates ,i suppose we got them as when we decided on crates metal just happened to be what we first looked at ,as we have three girls we have three single crates in the house one on the back seat of the car (secured by a seat belt ) and a double with a divider in the car boot and as the car is a CRV its not really a boot and it has darkened windows to keep the girls private and cooler. I think in this case we got the CRV to fit the girls not us humans as theres not a lot of room left for us and i suppose if i did decide on a fourth cav it would need another crate for the car and then Dawn or Luke would have to go on the roof or get a bus.

I have 1 x intermediate size coated metal crate in my Jeep which is a commercial van for my 3 to travel in. Because it is a van it is dark and cooler plus I put the air con on or open sunroof. Rear window is shaded too. I sometimes have 1 of them on the front seat with their seat belt on. Ruff Rider seat belts are great (Karlins Recommendation) http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=232

At home I have a playpen in their dog room but it is mostly the boarders who all snuggle in there or if they are not crate trained they prefer the playpen.

I also have 1 x clipper crate (like a vari kennel) if I am taking a dog to the vet/groomers etc.

We have most types on our shop site too. Take a look but if you are in the UK shipping from here would be expensive so just use it for info purposes!

See the link below for a few types of crates:

http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/shop/catalog/index.php?cPath=5

or log onto www.doggiesolutions.co.uk to order from the UK. They have car ones also. Their crates are of really high quality and last. The sizes are spot on also.

We also stock the ATLAS ones which are specifically for car / SUV boot which I have found good but since I have a van I use a regular large wire crate. The ATLAST is GREAT for hatch back cars, fits 2 dogs with divider.

Hope that helps.

Oooh, those ruff rider seatbelts look great Tara, do you have them in stock at the moment? will be up tomorrow for agility :)

We use wire crates in the house and the hard plastic ones for travelling in the car. In winter time I cover the wire crate to make it snuggly & warm & cave like. They love it.

Back