• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

SM Study at U of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia

I heard from the study manager at the U of Penn today. We had a nice chat. The study is sponsored by Pfizer pharmaceutical, and will be a double blind randomized study. He could not tell me the drug name that will be studied, other than to say it is a medicine currently used in humans. They want to ascertain if this medication will work on Cavaliers with SM as well as it evidently works in humans.

Because Bentley showed mild hydrocephalus during the PSOM study, they want to look at his CT scan films to try to see if his symptoms may be caused by that. After they see those they'll decide whether not he would be eligible.

Just thought I'd update what is going on with this study. He did say he has heard from another Cav that had taken part in Dr Cole's PSOM study... which one of you is that? :rolleyes:

Barb:

I have also talked to the researchers at University of Pennsylvania about having Buddy in the study and need to make arrangements for them to see his x-rays because of Buddy's diagnois made at OSU as part of the PSOM study of "very mild hydrocephalus." I am e-mailing Dr. Cole to inquire about sharing the films and am forwarding to her the protocol for the Penn study.

Buddy has not been diagnosed with CM/SM and has very, very mild if any symptoms. Before he had the diagnosis of PSOM and the myringotomy to drain his mild ears (last Spetember at OSU), he did have intermittant little "yelps" which essentially disappeared after the surgery. Recently they have been occuring again, although not as frequently as before. Also for the first time in his three years, during the past month or so, I have observed scratching which might be termed air scratching. It is very infrequent (I probably have only seen it three or four times), has not been while walking, but it is high on his head, above his ears, with minimal skin contact and he does not always stop when I call to him.

Because Buddy was diagnosed with PSOM as part of the OSU study, I am asking Dr. Cole's advise on how to proceed at this point. We may need to see if the PSOM has recurred first but if possible I would like at the same time to determine if he also has evidence of CM/SM. CT Scan will not do this, so we may well need to do ahead and do an MRI - the reason I contacted the folks at Penn.

Will keep everyone posted to the extent I think it may be information that would help others.

Good luck, Barb. I hope this study is of help to you and to Bentley.

Last edited:
Yes, the vet said the Cav that had inquired also had the mild hydrocephalus... I had a feeling it was you! I'm sorry Buddy has had a re-occurence of symptoms, and the addition of the scratching. :(

Bentley's scratching has increased a lot since last year, which is why I decided to call, too. He scratches probably 15 times per day, at least, and does frequent bunny hop gait. It has reduced slightly while he's taking Lasix, but I'm going to speak with my vet because I don't think it's doing enough.

I remember Dr Cole saying the CT scan did not show definitive evidence of SM. I know Cathy's CT of Gordie ( ? ) I think it was, actually showed a syrinx high up on his neck.

I was concerned that the dogs in the study not be used as "guinea pigs" for a brand new drug coming out. That's why I asked what drug was being used.

I'll keep you posted about what I hear from Dr Cole; I emailed her the request this morning after getting the email from U Penn.

Back