• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

they cut her tail...

chloe'sdee

OK I'm not angry, I realize that I was taking a chance by bringing Chloe to a groomer.
If anything I learned from this site all of the unwanted haircuts and such.
I spent a lot of time talking with this woman, and she was Cavalier friendly.
I was coming to terms with the fact that it was sooo much work cleaning up
after all the dirt being tracked into the house from our backyard being under construction.
So i figured OK lets just clean her up, I'm willing to loose her slippers,
for the summer. She gave Chloe a clean cut that looks like she hasn't been touched
EXCEPT her tail. I said" Don't touch her tail or her ears!!!!"
So basically I am just really sad about it.

This is why I wanted her feet trimmed...She loves to play outside
and dig and get nice and covered in everything.
DIRT, everywhere, always...
2476637222_32842cf052_b.jpg

This is her tail, before....
2475820735_031de0b3d1_o.jpg

And now :(...
2475821845_9e36488901_b.jpg

She said she was an angel, didn't squirm. I like the woman who did it,
I can't put her tail back on
but I'm sad it is butchered.
So how long are we talking,
when will it look better????? :(

I think Chloe looks beautiful. Her tail will grow back. I've had Scout's tail trimmed twice. It takes about 4-6 months for the hair to completely grown back.

did you say something to the lady right when you noticed it? i wouldn't of paid! poor tail. :( she is a beautiful doggie tho ;)

did you say something to the lady right when you noticed it? i wouldn't of paid! poor tail. :( she is a beautiful doggie tho ;)

I didn't say anything because we had this long conversation about how much
dirt gets caught in her hair. Because of all of the mess in my backyard at the
moment it's impossible to keep up. So the woman was trying to help me out,
she was trimming what touched the ground when her tail was down.
She must not have heard me say anything about the tail, she left her ears
perfect, in fact you wouldn't know she got much cut if her tail wasn't touched.
I knew I was taking a chance by handing her over to someone else.
I think I'll do my best to do the trimming myself. Lesson learned.

I think it will look more to your liking in 4-6 month-- but they cut a lot off. I'd say about 9 months to be back to normal. We had to cut my tris tail hair when she had lots of pups and they got stuck in her hair-- a year later it still wasn't back to where it was (but we cut it even shorter than they cut your dogs).

What a cute face. The cut on the tail looks so blunt like really straight cuts. I hope it grows back quickly and you get your backyard fixed up too.

When we got Dj his previous owner had just had him groomed.He was made to look like he hadn't been groomed except for his tail,we have him 10 weeks now and it's coming along nicely.

Uh oh.....she did take quite a bit off her tail. I have Shelby's tail evened up because she drags her through her tinkles. It really does grow back before you know it. She's still gorgeous though!!:)

Chloe is so beautiful!! I bet her tail will look less perfectly blunt once it grows in a bit & you wash her a couple of times yourself .....

She really is so pretty, and I bet she'll stay a lot cleaner now until it grows back the way you'd like. :)

Thanks everyone for the kind words.
We just had to adjust to looking at her,
it's very different, I didn't expect feeling
that way. She's still my beautiful furbaby,
and of course its raining today and she just
came in NICE AND MUDDY.

PS... just her feet;)

About a year ago, Zena blew her entire coat including her tail down to the bare skin due to an infection. Today even with time for the infection to heal and the skin to recuperate, her tail is longer than Chloe's is right now. So tails do grow back very quickly. Don't worry, Chloe will be dragging her tail through the mud again very soon!

Last edited:
I would buy some thinning scissors and soften the ends. I recently trimmed Dylan's slippers and front leg feathers and only used thinning scissors so I didn't get one defined line like you have there.

I'm sorry about her tail :hug:

I agree with Pauline, if you use thinning scissors on Chloe's tail it wont look so short... Just thin a couple of inches away from the end of the tail. I was a hairdresser so I am VERY fussy when I have Ellie trimmed.....in fact I am getting to the stage, that I could trim Ellie myself if I had a grooming table :)

It looks a bit scary when you use thinning scissors, like you are actually cutting another two inches off the hair but it only takes odd strands out.

Back