• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rabies vaccine video

Cathy T

I've read "Scared Poopless" by Jan Rasmussen. Jan was a speaker at one of our club meetings and I've had several discussions with her since. Please take a minute to watch a short video about the dangers of the rabies vaccine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pQHQw-5XCw
Some follow up reading can be found here:
http://www.dogs4dogs.com/truth4dogs.html
The rabies challenge fund is NOT advocating getting rid of the rabies vaccine but is challenging the duration of immunity.
Because of Jake's cancer he will never receive another vaccination of any kind. Shelby will not receive a vaccine for rabies this year. I believe that her vaccine 3 years ago will provide immunity for another 4 years (she had the 1 year vaccine at 1 year old and the 3 year vaccine at 2 years old).

:rah: Thank you for posting this Cathy!!! I feel so much better knowing that there are other people on this board that are comfortable with delaying injections/not giving them at all. I am absolutely terrified of the rabies vaccine. I don't understand why the same dose that is given to a 150-200 lb dog is also given to a 5 lb dog?!? :confused: Miles had it was he was 10 months old, and I consulted my homeopath vet, who sent me a remedy to give him immediately after the injection; this was supposed to prevent any negative side effects. I'm going to wait until T is 9-10 months old before he has it, and he'll have the remedy too.

Both of mine will be titred every year to make sure the vaccine is active. I know titring (sp?) is controversial because you don't really know when the vaccine isn't active anymore, but IMO the risk and potential dangers of over-vaccinating are so much worse...I'm sure there are many people who disagree and would rather vaccinate "just to be safe", but the more I read about how harmful these vaccines are the more comfortable I am with my decisions regarding vaccines (or the lack of) and my boys' health.

<<I feel so much better knowing that there are other people on this board that are comfortable with delaying injections/not giving them at all>> snip

Anyone who has worked at a vet clinic/humane society and seen parvo puppies would cringe to hear of the average person never vaccinating. The reason dog vaccines are given somewhat haphazardly is due to the lack of studies on vaccines. No drug company wants to pay to see how long rabies immunity lasts. I think giving vaccines in larger intervals, one disease at a time (no combos) and running titers is an excellent idea. I do NOT think that we should avoid vaccines altogether in the case of the average dog and owner.

Too bad we can't lobby for better vaccine testing :-(

I do NOT think that we should avoid vaccines altogether in the case of the average dog and owner.

Me either. Both of mine received their booster vaccines at a year old. I don't question the vaccines....I question the duration of immunity.

I guess I'm kind off out in left field here - I do titer testing on my dogs yearly, I titer test my show puppies I raise here at 8 weeks of age - I use that to decide which, if any, vaccines are needed - So far I've never vaccinated any of my own puppies, simply because they haven't needed it, however, I also agree this is a step the average dog owner SHOULD NOT take, especially without a good holistic vet to back them up. If I didn't have both a holistic vet, and a mentor who's had years of exerience with holistic care, then I would probably still do puppy vaccines and a 1 year booster, and titers after that just to be safe. Rabies is the hard one - By law, it has to be given every 3 years here, so I have a holistic vet do it, and stay at the clinic at least an hour after the vaccination to watch for any reactions to the vaccine - If it wasn't the law, I'd quite vaccinating for rabies, the chances of my dogs coming in contact with rabies are so slim that I feel the vaccine does much more harm then good, but I also feel like to be a responsible dog owner, I have to follow the laws.

We would love to see the 3 year rabies or titers accepted here, but the City is very slow. We have a kennel license (we are actually called a Multiple Animal Site!) through the City and they come to inspect once a year. Part of that inspection is to see that our dogs are up to date on rabies and they will only accept the annual vaccination. Every year we push HARD for the 3 year or titers; every year she (the inspector) parrots the 1 year requirement :mad: The worst part is that she also works part time at a local vet clinic, so she should know better. She must be concerned that a 3 year rabies will cut into the business.

I'm taking Loki to a Holistic Vet today because my usual Vet wouldn't even discuss this with me. I don't want anything injected into him that isn't necessary. :confused:

I should clarify that both of my boys have received the parvo and distemper vaccines (single injections, no combos), and Miles has had the rabies vaccine. Truman will get his in a few months. They do not receive any other vaccines for kennel cough, lepto, etc...I am not against vaccines either...just the frequency they are given, especially the rabies vaccine. I didn't want anyone thinking my boys weren't given the parvo and distemper vaccines, I know they need to have them :)

Back