• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

vomiting in car

Ulysse

Choupinet is 7 months old now. When he travels by car, he vomits. I tried every seat of the car. It is the same thing. Whatever the length of the travel, he vomits.
When I came back from my Spring holidays in Normandy, I didn't feed him. So, he didn't vomit. Is it the only solution ? Can you help me ?
:thnku:

Based on what you're saying, that does sound like the only fix. I haven't had this problem, but I think it is fairly common for dogs to be carsick. Perhaps he/she will grow out of it.

Guinness was a bad traveller from his first trip (i.e. home 2 hour drive)

After about a month he was OK on Shirls knee - that was the first time on her knee, and the first time that he wasn't sick.

When he started getting better at it, he was almost scared of sitting on the back seat - he would only go in the back well. Now he can sit anywhere with no problem at all.

Good luck - we found it very frustrating..

What does he travel in?

I have a ford Mondéo. He travels on our knees, not in a varykennel. He puts his head on my mum's arm and doesn't move. But about a quarter of an hour later, he's sick... We often travel by car and I am worried for my poor little boy !
Thank you for your answer. I wish he could be better soon !

We never feed our dogs if they are going to be in the car for more than maybe 1/2 to 1 hour. There are a couple that still have a problem once in a while; we have found that covering their crate with a couple towels so they can't see out helps.

I would also suggest not carrying him on your knees if you can avoid it. If you have an accident, he becomes a projectile or, worse yet, he is between you and an airbag going off. Think of him just like a child. No matter how short a distance we go, our dogs are in a crate in the back.

maybe he has motion sickness?!

empty stomach doesn't seem like a bad idea. I would stick to it until he eases up in car rides.

thank you so much for your advice. I will try to put him in a crate at the back and won't feed him. I will tell you if he feels better.

Back