Thread: Heart Murmur

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Heart Murmur

I took Loki to a new Vet today and she found that he has a heart murmur. He's 17 months old and she says that it's a grade 1 so we are just going to watch it for now. Does anybody else have experience with this and what should I expect?

Thanks,
    Mom to Loki & Remus

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to hear about Loki Did he see a vet or a cardiologist? If it was a regular vet I would take him to see a cardiologist just to confirm what the vet said, just in case...a regular vet might not have given the right diagnosis...Good luck
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
    I took Loki to a new Vet today and she found that he has a heart murmur. He's 17 months old and she says that it's a grade 1 so we are just going to watch it for now. Does anybody else have experience with this and what should I expect?
    I know it can be a bit of a shock to get news like this, since it isn't something we want or expect to hear (I have 2 cavaliers with heart murmurs). I would definitely take Loki to a cardiologist to get a diagnosis; the cardio can listen and hear exactly which valve is affected and to what degree, etc. The cardiologist may want you to return every 18-24 months so he/she can monitor Loki for progression. You can also ask questions about restrictions, etc.

Fortunately Loki doesn't know anything is wrong, so he will continue to be just as he was, making it easier for you to enjoy him! These cavaliers do teach us a lesson - to find happiness in the present moment and stop worrying about the future!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Cathy. I'd definitely see a cardiologist. My regular vet heard something with one of my fosters but when we saw the cardiologist at the health clinic he gave her an all clear.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

We were just told yesterday by the vet that our ten week old B & T Charlie has a heart murmur. He said that he may grow out of it and we are supposed to come back in 2 weeks to have him checked again. We have only had him two weeks!! He comes from a VERY reputable breeder so I guess I was a bit surprised. I was so upset I rang the breeder and told her and she said not to worry about it as she had him checked by one of the top vets in N Ireland and he gave him the all clear. We are going to wait and see what the vet says in 2 weeks and then go from there. We may get him seen by a cardiologist if the vet hears the murmur again in 2 weeks. I can relate to how upsetting it is, sorry I can't give you any advice as I am new to the breed. xx

Post Thanks / Like

A murmur is nothing more than a 'specific' sound. There are other sounds the heart makes that aren't mvd. A young puppy with a murmur-- isn't that abnormal.
    If you live in the Indianapolis area-- In July they have a show with health clinics-- this is an easy way to have a cardiologist hear your dogs heart. Make sure your dog is well and fully hydrated-- extra stress on the heart will make things sound worse than they may be.

http://www.ckcsc.org/ckcsc/ckcscevt....5?OpenDocument

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. That is the impression I was getting from the vet. I live in N IReland but your info re clinic will probably be more relevant to the original poster. xx