• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Heart Murmur

Rumor

I took Loki to a new Vet today and she found that he has a heart murmur. :eek: He's 17 months old and she says that it's a grade 1 so we are just going to watch it for now. Does anybody else have experience with this and what should I expect? :xfngr:

Thanks,
Mom to Loki & Remus :luv:

I'm sorry to hear about Loki :( Did he see a vet or a cardiologist? If it was a regular vet I would take him to see a cardiologist just to confirm what the vet said, just in case...a regular vet might not have given the right diagnosis...Good luck :)

I took Loki to a new Vet today and she found that he has a heart murmur. :eek: He's 17 months old and she says that it's a grade 1 so we are just going to watch it for now. Does anybody else have experience with this and what should I expect?
I know it can be a bit of a shock to get news like this, since it isn't something we want or expect to hear (I have 2 cavaliers with heart murmurs). :hug: I would definitely take Loki to a cardiologist to get a diagnosis; the cardio can listen and hear exactly which valve is affected and to what degree, etc. The cardiologist may want you to return every 18-24 months so he/she can monitor Loki for progression. You can also ask questions about restrictions, etc.

Fortunately Loki doesn't know anything is wrong, so he will continue to be just as he was, making it easier for you to enjoy him! These cavaliers do teach us a lesson - to find happiness in the present moment and stop worrying about the future! :flwr:

I'm with Cathy. I'd definitely see a cardiologist. My regular vet heard something with one of my fosters but when we saw the cardiologist at the health clinic he gave her an all clear.

We were just told yesterday by the vet that our ten week old B & T Charlie has a heart murmur. He said that he may grow out of it and we are supposed to come back in 2 weeks to have him checked again. We have only had him two weeks!! He comes from a VERY reputable breeder so I guess I was a bit surprised. I was so upset I rang the breeder and told her and she said not to worry about it as she had him checked by one of the top vets in N Ireland and he gave him the all clear. We are going to wait and see what the vet says in 2 weeks and then go from there. We may get him seen by a cardiologist if the vet hears the murmur again in 2 weeks. I can relate to how upsetting it is, sorry I can't give you any advice as I am new to the breed. xx

A murmur is nothing more than a 'specific' sound. There are other sounds the heart makes that aren't mvd. A young puppy with a murmur-- isn't that abnormal.
If you live in the Indianapolis area-- In July they have a show with health clinics-- this is an easy way to have a cardiologist hear your dogs heart. Make sure your dog is well and fully hydrated-- extra stress on the heart will make things sound worse than they may be.

http://www.ckcsc.org/ckcsc/ckcscevt.nsf/current/07F48A5BB0618369862573DF00128CD5?OpenDocument

Thanks. That is the impression I was getting from the vet. I live in N IReland but your info re clinic will probably be more relevant to the original poster. xx

The Vet I took Loki to see is a Holistic Dr. She said it was very faint and that we'd keep an eye on it. She said it wasn't necessary to see a Cardiologist yet. I was already planning on taking him & Remus to get his heart and eyes checked at the clinic in July. I know what the risks are with having a Cavalier, you just never want to hear it about your babies.:luv:

Mom to Loki & Remus (y)

I echo what others have said and it is quite difficult for a vet to accurately grade a murmur. If you are worried, I'd see a cardiologist too.

In a youngster, a murmur may just disappear, as it appears to have done with Marlon who had a puppy murmur. We had a 2nd opinion when our vet said it had disappeared, so we're not over-concerned at the moment.

Good luck.

Back