• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Worried about his Eyes

KingstonsMom

Kingston's eyes have always watered (especially when outside due to allergies). Lately however, when I wipe his eyes with a tissue I find the wetness to have a brownish/pinkish tint. Anyone have an idea what this could be?

It is the same thing for my dog, especially for Choupinet who is black and tan. My breeder said it is normal and I clean his eyes with "Ocryl", a special water, every day.

If it's a blenheim I've noticed the tears become stained with pigment from the chestnut fur.
Sins

What is the best way to clean the eyes? Right now I'm simply using a damp tissue. I'll look into that Ocryl that was recommended. I have Diamond Eye but it smells so harsh that I really hate using it around Kingston's eyes.

Another question... Would eye drops be helful? If his eyes are already too moist, wouldn't this be counterintuitive?

I'd talk to your vet and have his eyes checked if there's concern. The reddish colour is indeed probably yeast (it shouldn't be from the fur colour itself -- all colours and many other breeds with large eyes get those yeast streaks -- see http://www.bhejei.com/tearsta.htm -- towards the bottom there are a number of remedies to use to remove stains too; lots of breeders of all breeds reference this page). Excessive tearing could be due to eyelashes scratching his cornea, infections or a range of problems or could be nothing to worry about, but I wouldn;t want to guess and wait with anything to do with eyes. If it were something like eye irritation from lashes this can become very serious and damage the cornea. So anything unusual should really be seen by a vet just to be sure there isn't a problem. (y) Dogs do not need extra drops if their eyes are adequately lubricated and a vet can tell you if this is the case -- they can do a test.

I changed food and most of the red under the eye went away. The tissues smelled like unmade bread-- so I am going to assume it was yeast. Also, antibiotics can clear up the red, so I am not sure what it would do if it were iron.

I was using Royal Canin Holistic blend-- but two of my daughters dogs kept getting diarrhea when they ate it. So I started using Timberwolf and/or Canidae. It seemed to help with the watery eyes. I try to rotate foods and now I am able to change food without too much tummy upset.

Hmmmm, that's interesting. I feed Canidae but a couple months ago I started mixing in Natural Balance Duck & Potatoe. Perhaps I should go back to straight Canidae.

Back