• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Andy's eyes are looking very weird...what is this?

Jenny

Andy - our 5 year old boy - has the strangest look in his eyes. Very tired looking and his eyeballs are going off to the side like he's falling asleep with his eyes open and his whites are slightly red as though he has hay fever. The inner lids are slightly closed. He looks like he's been drugged or something. I've seen him do this before but it's been brief and he snaps right out of it, but I'm a little worried. Does anyone know what this is?

Last edited:
You really urgently need to see a vet to determine if this is nothing, something minor like cherry eye, or something serious (eg neurological). I would make an appointment immediately -- I am sure that finding out whether there's a problem and if so, to start treating it, will make you and Andy feel more comfortable. (y) If his inner eyelids are showing and his eyes are red, there is almost certainly something wrong and as eyes can be seriously damaged by leaving any condition untreated, I would not leave this another day without professional advice.

Karlin, thanks so much for responding. Since the post, I flushed Andy's eyes with Saline and now he seems to be absolutely fine. Should I still take him in?

I would as u said in original post that this has happened before. Wouldnt u rather be safe than sorry. Just in case something serious is going on please get it checked. Even if its not serious now, one day if left, maybe it could be come serious.

Yes, you should have him checked. Dogs shouldn't need their eyes flushed with saline and especially if his eyes seem to be turning in odd directions -- I'd get this checked. At the very least, ring your vet, describe the issue, and get their advice on whether to bring him in or what to watch for.

Back