• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

People and Rescue??

niki

Just a query,

I know a lady at my daughters school who was telling me some time ago that she wanted to get a rescue dog, Battersea had turned her down after a home visit because her fences were too low and she wanted a big rottie type dog, she had previously owned a rottie until he died
A little while later she had a rottie x from a different rescue but had to return the dog after some problems arose (not sure what)
Around the same time I got Ralph they bought or 'rescued' a rottie puppy x but i've just found out today that they have had to 'get rid of that one' also
I'm wondering if they are more the problem than the dogs, I perfectly accept that if the dog and owner are not suited and nothing can be done to rectify the situation then of course some dogs are better off being rehomed.
I'm just a little annoyed as there is no doubt in my mind that they will attempt to obtain a dog again at some point in the near future.
Do rescues take this into account? I thought that dogs and other animals were matched to owners a best as possible
They are obviously unable to accomodate the needs of large active puppy and I think it would be awful if they were allowed to adopt a dog that may have already had so many unsettling experiences in the past only to hand it back a few months later

I myself am not a perfect dog owner but i'm learning new things every day and would do everything in my power to rectify any problems, this has made me really angry
Sorry just felt the need to vent this and just wondering what others think

When it comes to history you only know what people tell you or what is on an application. Sometimes you have to read between the lines. If they did put that they had several unsuccessful attempts with dogs , that would usually be a red flag not to adopt to them.

There are rescues, ie good ones and 'rescues' which are little more than shops. Some are happy to take your money, when you turn up and then don't wan tto know about any probelms. Most of the rescues I've home checked for want to know about previous dogs and what became of them. They also want lots of other questions answered regarding lifestyle, experience etc.

There are rescues, ie good ones and 'rescues' which are little more than shops. Some are happy to take your money, when you turn up and then don't wan tto know about any probelms. Most of the rescues I've home checked for want to know about previous dogs and what became of them. They also want lots of other questions answered regarding lifestyle, experience etc.

I recently saw a website for a "rescue" that sold dogs for £200 + & proudly stated they did not do home checks
their about us page also stated they started their dog rescue business on such n such a date

so it was a business for them

Back