Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried about his Eyes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Worried about his Eyes

Kingston's eyes have always watered (especially when outside due to allergies). Lately however, when I wipe his eyes with a tissue I find the wetness to have a brownish/pinkish tint. Anyone have an idea what this could be?

Post Thanks / Like

It is the same thing for my dog, especially for Choupinet who is black and tan. My breeder said it is normal and I clean his eyes with "Ocryl", a special water, every day.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's a blenheim I've noticed the tears become stained with pigment from the chestnut fur.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

It is usually a yeast that grows in the 'wetness' in the hair under the eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the best way to clean the eyes? Right now I'm simply using a damp tissue. I'll look into that Ocryl that was recommended. I have Diamond Eye but it smells so harsh that I really hate using it around Kingston's eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

Another question... Would eye drops be helful? If his eyes are already too moist, wouldn't this be counterintuitive?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd talk to your vet and have his eyes checked if there's concern. The reddish colour is indeed probably yeast (it shouldn't be from the fur colour itself -- all colours and many other breeds with large eyes get those yeast streaks -- see http://www.bhejei.com/tearsta.htm -- towards the bottom there are a number of remedies to use to remove stains too; lots of breeders of all breeds reference this page). Excessive tearing could be due to eyelashes scratching his cornea, infections or a range of problems or could be nothing to worry about, but I wouldn;t want to guess and wait with anything to do with eyes. If it were something like eye irritation from lashes this can become very serious and damage the cornea. So anything unusual should really be seen by a vet just to be sure there isn't a problem. Dogs do not need extra drops if their eyes are adequately lubricated and a vet can tell you if this is the case -- they can do a test.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just found this article where a vet says the brown is actually iron, not yeast:

http://home.ivillage.com/pets/symsolve/0,,j8lr,00.html

So take your pick!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I changed food and most of the red under the eye went away. The tissues smelled like unmade bread-- so I am going to assume it was yeast. Also, antibiotics can clear up the red, so I am not sure what it would do if it were iron.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sandy
    what type of food do you recommend?